Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Handle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 01:11 AM
Dingopher
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Door Handle Replacement

I've been struggling with my driver's side door handle for a while now, making a few repairs/modifications, and it's finally worn out completely. Rather than chance it on a used handle, or spend the money for a new one, I decided to buy a VW handle (#191837207) to try to swap in based on this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...a-944-a-2.html

The handle is very similar to the original 944 handle, but unfortunately the lever that actuates the latch mechanism in the door is offset in a way that completely impedes the function of the locking mechanism. That lever is the part that's worn out on the original handle, so I can't just swap it to the new one.

Does anyone know if there's another VW handle that has a latch lever built more similarly to the original 944 handle? Has anyone come across a better solution to fixing or replacing these door handles? I may try to modify the VW handle to work, but it would be nice not to have to.

Thanks

Old 03-29-2023, 05:17 PM
secondchris
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It looks like you should be able to install the porsche linkage onto the VW handle. The actuator is attached by a roller pin that you can just punch out. Post back if it works.

A lot of 944 people need to do this when the old brittle metal breaks and the fix it to remove/reinstall with a kit like this: https://944online.com/inner-door-handle-linkage.html

Last edited by secondchris; 03-29-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:13 AM
Dingopher
AutoX

Originally Posted by secondchris
It looks like you should be able to install the porsche linkage onto the VW handle. The actuator is attached by a roller pin that you can just punch out. Post back if it works.

A lot of 944 people need to do this when the old brittle metal breaks and the fix it to remove/reinstall with a kit like this: https://944online.com/inner-door-handle-linkage.html
Unfortunately the linkage is quite worn, and I had put a small screw through it to augment the worn part that then wore the trigger out, so both parts will need to be replaced.

I wasn't aware that 944online sold the linkage though, I missed it somehow. I'll replace that and the trigger and the handle should be in working order. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2023, 01:24 PM
secondchris
Instructor

It looks like you have the earlier style door handle. The replacement linkage will fit the older door handles, but it's slightly different and I wasn't happy with how the door operated.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:49 PM
Dingopher
AutoX

It looks like you have the earlier style door handle. The replacement linkage will fit the older door handles, but it's slightly different and I wasn't happy with how the door operated.
I called 944online to ask about this, and they said that it would work for both the early and late handles. Like you said, it is slightly different than the stock part. The part of it that connects to the linkage itself was shorter than the stock piece. I'm not sure if that difference, or the amount of play in the whole door latch assembly, was to blame for the problem, but the door handle wasn't able to move the mechanism far down down to engage the latch.

Luckily my dad had previously made me an extension to fit between the linkage and the plastic socket.

With that installed I was able to adjust it to work properly. Unfortunately I didn't check the lock function with the door card off, and when I reassembled, shut, and locked the door the lock wouldn't unlock. I had to partially remove the door card with the door closed to be able to pop the socket off and unlock the door. I was able to shorten the linkage slightly, and now everything works as it should. We'll see for how long.

Thanks again for the link to the part!
Old 04-17-2023, 02:41 PM
secondchris
Instructor

I have a problem with 944online recommending this for the earlier handles. It will "work" but not well and there will be too much slop which requires you to compensate by excessively elongating the rod.

The same thing happened to me when I installed a custom extension similar to yours. The door won't unlock because the rod is too long and won't retract and jams the unlocking mechanism.

I struggled with the door for a couple of years and took it apart a dozen times for various adjustments before realizing that my issues were caused by my installation of the improper linkage.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:40 PM
Dingopher
AutoX

I have a problem with 944online recommending this for the earlier handles. It will "work" but not well and there will be too much slop which requires you to compensate by excessively elongating the rod.

The same thing happened to me when I installed a custom extension similar to yours. The door won't unlock because the rod is too long and won't retract and jams the unlocking mechanism.

I struggled with the door for a couple of years and took it apart a dozen times for various adjustments before realizing that my issues were caused by my installation of the improper linkage.
The locking issue is definitely a problem. I managed to set the linkage in a sweet spot where it would just barely allow the handle to unlatch, and where the lock would work. Unfortunately it seems like there's already enough wear on it that it's starting to fail again. I think the only real options are to either make a fully custom linkage or to replace the handle in its entirety. With the handle having so much slop/wear on it in general, replacing the handle seems like the more sensible option at this point. Unfortunately they're like $350...

Quick Reply: Door Handle Replacement