Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick note- Racer's Edge...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004 | 02:52 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Quick note- Racer's Edge...

As some of you know, I have had ALL kinds of probs w/my car in the 4.5yrs I've owned it- mostly due to neglect by the PO, &, my lack of $$$ to fix things. Several months back, I had grown sick of the COMPLETELY worn Turbo S adj Koni's (car had ~170k)- I was pretty torn b/t Bilstein AK1110/1111-A's & Paragon rebuilt DBL adj Koni's- I STILL plan to get the Koni's rebuilt, since, I may need them for a future project(?). I found out that Racer's Edge was local, so, talked w/Karl- he set me up w/some non-adj Ledas, 225lb springs, & 27mm t-bars- I chickened out on the T-bars, AFTER buying them (anyone want to buy a BRAND NEW set of 27mm T-bars?) & went to 100lb rear helpers- my initial impressions on the susp, were not very good overall, &, due to this, & several other probs, I have been a fairly frustrated car owner these last few months. My biggest complaint about the situation was, that the rear helpers were rubbing & making HORRIBLE noises- it turns out, that only the driver side was rubbing, but, STILL, VERY noisy at times. The front felt a little soft compared to the rear, which made the rear feel a little happy in harder corners- the Turbo S has a rear 18mm sway, while, later 89's & S2 M030s had a 16mm- THIS MAY have had something to do w/it, as well as the alignment, which I had held off on until I could get my ride height adjusted- But STILL, as far as SPRING RATE, the rear felt a little stiffer than the front- COULD have had something to do w/amount of preload, etc, BUT, I wanted slightly stiffer fronts OR slightly softer rears.... Unfortunately, KARL had hurt his shoulder right when it was time to do the install- I had to use another mechanic- one whom I trust, etc, BUT, who did not have as much experience w/Ledas &/or other aftermarket shocks, w/these cars- all of this added up...

Several days ago, Karl set me up at Air Cooled Classics at discounted rate- he got the rear helper rubbing fixed- the ride height was set, the alignment done, BUT ALSO, he swapped out the 225lb springs for 275's (I was thinking that 250's would be about perfect, but, Karl only had 275's) for FREE- I only had to pay the labor to change them- he had ALSO traded out some 968 M030 front strut bearings for my Turbo S ones- the 968's didn't end up looking a TON better, BUT, were a little, &, were at LEAST 4yrs newer- he did not charge me anything for this either...

I just wanted to write a little post about Karl, to say that he really did work hard to make sure that I was happy- he did several things that were above & beyond (swapping the strut bearings & springs) & answered a ton of questions- I just wanted to publically say THANKS, &, to say that i would be glad to recommend him to anyone for these cars... OF course, there are MANY other's who have helped me tremendously here- Danno, Dan Wray, Skip & Jason, Chris (Speed 6), Matt H, M758, & countless other Rennlisters- I'm SURE I've left a few out... Don't get me wrong- I'm SURE I'll find PLENTY of other things to rage about the next few months on this car, BUT, I just wanted to say, that for now, I am happy w/at LEAST one thing about this car- wait till next week, &, I may be saying something else positive, as my newly refinished 17" Cup 2's should be shod w/new Pilot Sport PS2's OR Bridgestone S03's, &, on my car- by the end of next week- this should compliment the susp nicely... So, thank you Karl, &, Rennlist....

Quick Reply: Quick note- Racer's Edge...