Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission knock???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004 | 10:08 PM
CYiannou
Advanced

Unhappy transmission knock???

Today I started hearing a knocking from somewhere in the back end of my car. The speed of the knocking depended on how fast I was going and when I pushed in the clutch it went away. The car sounded fine at idle and with the clutch in.

I noticed this on my way home from an oil change and carwash (if that matters). It's about a fifteen mile trip and about 3 or 4 miles in the knocking started. The strange thing is, a couple of miles before I got home it stopped.

Does anyone know what this could be. No really bad news please!
Old 05-12-2004 | 10:18 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Frammis drain trying to purge the trans bell housing. If the torque clamp is loose it knocks till the water is gone.

(I would check your CV joints)
Old 05-19-2004 | 05:12 AM
CYiannou
Advanced

It started doing this again today. It sounds like it could be coming from the area around the left rear wheel. Any ideas?
Old 05-19-2004 | 05:55 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by CYiannou
It started doing this again today. It sounds like it could be coming from the area around the left rear wheel. Any ideas?
As per SoCal: CV joints to start with.
Also: center nut on left rear axle, exhaust mounts, transmission mounts, anything that can rattle like heat shields.
Also: check the trunk for any loose item, check the wells in the rear fender as well.
Mine had a rattle when I bought it, sound looked like to come from the tranny., was actually produced by the heat shield on the header that came loose.
knocks / rattles may not be produced at the points they seem to come from

Quick Reply: transmission knock???