Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different audio solution for our cars...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 01:17 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Different audio solution for our cars...

I searched "floating screen" and 944, but only found one result. And the guy used an alpine that covered the switches at the top of the shifter trim piece. So I'm presenting this as a "new" solution for our cars. They make 7", 9", and 10" versions in the brand I got, but I wanted to be able to still use my pocket and to be able to see gauges if I ever put any there. The 9 and 10 would fit, but I'm pretty sure you would lose the pocket or any ability to see gauges. So I got the 7".

I had four criteria. Android Auto(Apple Carplay), backup camera, no cutting or modifications at all, and keeping the pocket area visible and usable. This accomplished all four. Here are the pics:

There is one consideration. I have the only944 short-shift kit installed. I have plenty of room to shift. I did hit the screen sometimes in 5th, but that's because I have a tendency to throw my fingers forward when shifting to 5th for some reason. It's a flourish thing I do. But if I shift with a firm grip, and my hand around the stick, there is plenty of room. All the picture beside the reverse camera is with the stick in 1st. You could also angle the screen differently to get more room. I have it angled forward and facing me. You could gain 1-2 inches if you moved it differently.

These angles don't correctly show how it looks from the driver's position. I was sitting there and had the phone in front of me and lower than my eyes. I have it so I can see almost the entire pocket, and can see a bit of the vinyl area under the A/C. This type of radio is not for everyone, but I honestly think I like how it looks, once I got used to it. If I had gauges, I could for sure position it so I could see them.

The screen will go higher and lower by about 3-4" total and swivels pretty sharply in every direction. It will go down low enough to cover the pocket, or high enough to start covering the A/C controls. There are a few brands making these, but Boss is by far the most affordable. And with the crappy sound and speaker options in these cars, the Boss does fine sound-wise. I simply will not have cars without Android Auto anymore, and Boss is the cheapest way to get Android Auto (or Apple Carplay for the fruity guys).

The only thing I chose to do mod-wise (and you wouldn't have to) is I drilled a small hole in the top back of my pocket so I could route the USB cable through there. There are other solutions. You cannot see the hole unless you had your head down on the trim around the stick. I could have also mounted a USB on the trim below the pocket, or even routed to the arm rest area. But I like to keep my phone in the pocket, so this made the most sense.

Unrelated to the installation, but of audio interest, my passenger's rear speaker was blown. I hadn't noticed as my old unit had a high-pass filter built in, and I had everything below like 160 hz filtered out... and had my 10" sub set to play everything below 160hz. The Boss only has a low-pass filter for the sub. But it was blown all to hell with the boss throwing full range at it. It only had highs. And those were terrible. I went on a two-state and four-hour adventure to try and find any 4x6"'s other than the cheap Walmart Sony's the PO had put in. But after two states, and two Best Buys that showed "in stock" online, only to find they could not find them once I got there, I settled on the ones I could get at Walmart. I wanted to put in the Pioneer 3-way 4x6's. If I could I would have waited and ordered online, but I have a trip I'm taking tomorrow, and I needed sound. Now! So Walmart Sony's it was.

My original plan was just to replace the one that was blown. It was the same Sony speakers I already had, so I'd just not use the other new one. They are cheap enough that was ok with me. However, the new speaker was much louder and clearer than the other three speakers once I had it installed. Enough so, that I now had a new problem. It sounded like all the sound was coming from the rear right now! This wasn't much better than when I had a blown speaker! The system sounded unbalanced. CRAP!

I wasn't sure if the new speakers were somehow better than the old ones, or what. So I replaced the front speaker with one of the new ones. Double crap! The new speakers were louder and clearer than the old ones! Now my whole passenger side overshadowed the drivers' side. I'm not sure if it's because the old ones were from 2014 (so oldish), or if Sony has just improved them. The old ones were marked "Xplod and had part# XS-R4645 with a blue mid-tweet in the middle. The new ones were not marked Xplod, have a black mid-tweet, and are marked XS-R4646. So back to Walmart I went for a second pair to replace the driver's side. The good news is I've now figured out how to replace the rear speakers without taking out the window, and it only takes me like 20 mins to do. The first took me 2 hours. But I figured out the tricks. Oh, and those Walmart Sonys more or less fit in the front behind the stock grills. It's not perfect, but it's damn close.

If I ever do this again, I'm getting the Pioneers for the rear. And maybe a component plate for the front, with a 4" speaker and a higher-end tweet. If not that, I might see if the Pioneer 2-way 4x6 fits. It's not as beefy as the 3-way, and has a depth of 1.56". But this works for now. Our cars don't have a lot of great options anyway if you want to try and keep it stock-ish. With the 4 new speakers, the sound, sitting in the garage at least, isn't half bad with the sub off. Turn the sub on, and it sounds pretty good. Considering. With the radio and 4 new speakers, I was in for under $300.

The radio: Boss BE7ACP-CFT Package Includes BE7ACP-FT digital multimedia receiver and backup camera (does not play discs) at Crutchfield
The Speakers: Sony XS-R4646 4"x6" 4 way speakers - Walmart.com
The tools: UltraSteel 1/4 Inch Drive 6 Point SAE, Metric Bit And Socket Set TS933 (oreillyauto.com)

"the tools" were what I used to get the back speakers out and replaced without breaking the rear sailplane, or removing the window. The link doesn't show it, but it comes in a nice plastic case. I took one look behind that panel and went NOPE, getting the right tools. I'd seen these before (and had bought a similar set a few years ago I can no longer find). I bought the set above, and a different mini set (with 32 pieces that was much more expensive, just in case). But the set I linked worked like a charm! The pick doesn't show it, and I forgot to take a picture, but that rachet has a recessed bit holder on the other side. The bit fits 1/2 way in. So the total depth from the tip of the bit to the 1/4 male fitting on the back is about 1", maybe less! That, much like my speaker adventure, was a two-state affair. I'd seen the sets in Arkansas when searching for A/C fittings. I supposed my local Missouri store had them as well. Spoiler, they did not. So off to Arkansas I went. The ~hour of driving was well worth the trouble these saved!

Last edited by 951Dreams; 01-29-2023 at 02:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
voodu3 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 07:14 PM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Interesting and great write-up. Thanks for sharing.

I wanted “modern” conveniences with stock looks... and ended up with a Porsche Classic PCM. I’ve got an Amazon Alexa Auto hooked up to it and stashed in the glovebox. “She” can usually hear me just fine with the glovebox closed.

The only thing I don’t like about the setup is that it takes a while for the headunit to recognize the Bluetooth when I turn it on.

Edit... I’ve got Pioneer “4-way” 4x6’s front and back. I find the idea of a 4-way speaker that small comical... but I like them. I’ve got a Cerwin Vega “spare tire” sub in my... spare tire. Took a bit to dial in... but I’m happy with it.

Last edited by Millermatic; 01-29-2023 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:19 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I didn't like the look in pictures. But this is one case where I wanted function over fashion. I didn't much care if it was ugly if I got navigation, a backup camera, and better visuals of what I was listening to.

But I also wanted 100% ability to return to stock (as much as I can. Someone in the life of this car decided adapter kits were to much trouble and hacked all the stock connections off.)

What I'm finding is that this setup looks much better in person. It just looks funky and awkward in pictures. I now understand all the rave reviews.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:59 PM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

I totally get the "ability to return to stock" bit. I could have hacked the back sheet metal and put 6x9's in easily enough... but I elected to stick with the 4x6's and add a discrete sub that required nothing more than a new bolt to keep my spare tire in. And I still have the old bolt.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:37 AM
goblues38
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

I went with the Sony XAV-AX8000. It is a single din chases, with an adjustable screen location. I mounted the din in the stock radio location, and placed the screen in the lower configuration. Yes, it covers the cubby, but all my buttons and switches are accessible. Apple car play at my index finger when driving. I am happy.

The car is a 1990 with 68k miles. Not a museum piece, not a daily driver. But when I do drive it, I want to enjoy the experience. I have replaced all the 4x6 speakers and crammed 2 x 10 inch subs in the spare tire well. I can cruise top down at 80mph and enjoy some music, and have NAV.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:51 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a Pioneer AVH 3300 and 3500NEX in my 924S and 968.
Pop-out screen, so it's not always in the way.

They're fantastic.

Quick Reply: Different audio solution for our cars...