Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to buy bulk AC hose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question where to buy bulk AC hose?

Some rubber AC hoses on my 944 are cracked, and I need to replace them. These are regular-looking bulk hoses that plug onto metal tubing. A local store carries only SAE sizes of the so-called 'barrier hose', and they are far off. What I need is two sizes:
1) plugs onto metal tube of 10 mm outer diameter
2) plugs onto metal tube of 14 mm outer diameter
Where can I buy it?
Since it's so hard to buy metric fasteners etc. in North America, I started thinking about shipping from Germany, or Europe in general. Anybody knows a good store in Europe (with crew that speaks Engilish) that I could mail order these hoses from?
Thanks, Stan
P.s. Getting it from a dealer is not an option for me know, as they only sell the complete assemblies, and way above my budget for repair of the AC.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check with EBS Racing in Sparks Nevada; I recently ordered stock, original, new a/c hoses from them - normally at the dealer they would have run about $400 - I think I paid about $75 including shipping. I believe he keeps a stock of them as well.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:34 PM
dmsog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: where to buy bulk AC hose?

Originally posted by Stan944
Some rubber AC hoses on my 944 are cracked, and I need to replace them. These are regular-looking bulk hoses that plug onto metal tubing. A local store carries only SAE sizes of the so-called 'barrier hose', and they are far off. What I need is two sizes:
et for repair of the AC.
If originality is not a big deal, you can do what I did on my LT1 car. I cut both lines off (where the hoses meet the tubes on the left fenderwell) and tig-welded male SAE fittings to the end of the lines. This allows me to use standard female SAE swivel fittings and standard hose, and they're replaceable (almost anywhere) with no hassle. I can post a picture of this setup on request. The rest of the o-ring type a/c lines on the car are American as apple pie, so no problem getting into/out of the receiver-drier, and from said drier to the condensor. Up until very recently, there was no such thing as metric a/c fittings.
I've been making a/c (and hydraulic) lines for 28 years as a sideline business to my starter-alternator deal.

Doug
Old 05-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I'll check with EBS Racing.
Doug, originality is not a big deal for my AC system, and although changing fittings sounds good, I don't have access to a welder.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ranchu products in Nevada sells bulk hoses as well as all sorts of impossible to find parts. Evaporator for my RX7 springs to mind.

Quick Reply: where to buy bulk AC hose?