Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used this coilover kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023 | 01:56 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

I would strongly recommend calling Jason @ Paragon. He has been giving great suspension advice for many years. Talk to him about what you have and your planned use. He tries his best to sell you what you need for the intended application IMHO.
Old 01-13-2023 | 02:10 PM
Acantor
Pro

Originally Posted by culture
I would strongly recommend calling Jason @ Paragon. He has been giving great suspension advice for many years. Talk to him about what you have and your planned use. He tries his best to sell you what you need for the intended application IMHO.
I have been in touch with him
The following users liked this post:
culture (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023 | 02:15 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by Acantor
Ok so keep the 25.5 in the front and upgrade to the 5 way adjustable 19mm in rear. What brand bushings and stuff do you recommend to go along with the torsion bars and the sways.
There is also a 3 way adjustable rear sway bar. The kit for the sway bar has rigid bushings for sway bar and drop links.

I would not change front bushings unless they have failed. Increasing the front spring rate compensates for the softer bushings. Try and test, then make the next step.

@Acantor. Can you you test the suspension changes at a track or skid pad. Trying to test these changes on the street is impossible and could be unforgiving if it significantly oversteers on a certain set up
Old 01-13-2023 | 02:24 PM
Acantor
Pro

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
There is also a 3 way adjustable rear sway bar. The kit for the sway bar has rigid bushings for sway bar and drop links.

I would not change front bushings unless they have failed. Increasing the front spring rate compensates for the softer bushings. Try and test, then make the next step.

@Acantor. Can you you test the suspension changes at a track or skid pad. Trying to test these changes on the street is impossible and could be unforgiving if it significantly oversteers on a certain set up
Is the 3 way adjustable bar on Lindsey racing? Also my neighborhood is a pretty good place to test these upgrades because I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere and I can make a little circuit.
Old 01-14-2023 | 10:37 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Is the 3 way adjustable bar on Lindsey racing? Also my neighborhood is a pretty good place to test these upgrades because I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere and I can make a little circuit.
I believe Lindsey has the 5 way adjustable sway bar. Google for 3 way adjustable. I do not remember where I purchased it.
Old 01-14-2023 | 01:25 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Paragon carries the 3-way bar.
Old 01-14-2023 | 02:57 PM
Acantor
Pro

Originally Posted by mj951
Paragon carries the 3-way bar.
Wouldn't a 5 way bar be better because there is more adjustment? I'm thinking of going with the Lindsey five-way bar with the KLA adjustable links from Paragon because the 5 way Lindsey bar is cheaper than the 3 way on Paragon.

Ok, so final thoughts on the 225 fronts and 27mm rear? I think that this setup will be the most balanced leaning towards understeer at the limit.
Old 01-14-2023 | 10:47 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Wouldn't a 5 way bar be better because there is more adjustment? I'm thinking of going with the Lindsey five-way bar with the KLA adjustable links from Paragon because the 5 way Lindsey bar is cheaper than the 3 way on Paragon.

Ok, so final thoughts on the 225 fronts and 27mm rear? I think that this setup will be the most balanced leaning towards understeer at the limit.
Maybe? Depends.
Front and rear tire size play's a big roll in balance, as much or more so than sway bar size and setting.
Best to make one suspension change / adjustment at a time so you know what driving characteristics are being affected.

Last edited by mj951; 01-16-2023 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2023 | 01:14 AM
Acantor
Pro

I'm currently running a staggered 7" front and 8" rear on 16's
Old 01-15-2023 | 10:47 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

I'm currently running a staggered 7" front and 8" rear on 16's
The stagger increases understeer. The 16's over the stock 15's shifts the hp/torque to the rear wheels to the left or lower for a given vehicle speed.

Last edited by T&T Racing; 01-15-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2023 | 12:52 PM
Acantor
Pro

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
The stagger increases understeer. The 16's over the stock 15's shifts the hp/torque to the rear wheels to the left or lower for a given vehicle speed.
Wouldn't this be all the more reason to stiffen the rear with a 27mm tb? And 19mm sway as well as keeping the front sway untouched? The car atm has 2 very different spring rates front and rear, so wouldn't having them pretty much equal allow the car to be even more stable? And the staggered set up will make it understeer at the limit like what I'm looking for right?
Any fine tune adjustment from there can be made by adjusting the rebound and compression on the shocks. Please let me know if any of this is untrue
​​
Old 01-15-2023 | 01:23 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

From: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon

Since changing the torsion bars is such a pita, doing it only once is preferred.
If 27 proves to be too stiff, you could use less rear bar and/or more front bar to compensate.
If that isn't enough, it's a lot easier to up the F springs a little to match.
Old 01-15-2023 | 03:19 PM
Acantor
Pro

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Since changing the torsion bars is such a pita, doing it only once is preferred.
If 27 proves to be too stiff, you could use less rear bar and/or more front bar to compensate.
If that isn't enough, it's a lot easier to up the F springs a little to match.
Yes, I defiantly think that I can dial it in more once I have all the pieces put together. I have ordered the 5way rear bar and the coiover kit with 225 springs so far, so I will keep yall posted on results.

Last edited by Acantor; 01-15-2023 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2023 | 06:49 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

So, on my setup, I have stock front springs and rear TB. But the Lindsey M030 front and rear sways. I have the 7" front and 8" rear stagger with stock 86 Turbo 16" tire sizes. From what I understand from this conversation, it would likely be best to adjust the rear bar softer to encourage understeer. Adjusting them harder would lean toward oversteer? I for sure want to encourage understeer. I've never been able to push the car hard enough to really see what it does at the extremes, but I don't want to discover its massive oversteer at the wrong moment. I have encountered slight understeer, but then I think you always start with a moment of understeer, it's when things let go you find where you're really at.

Maybe I should find a big parking lot late one night and see...
Old 01-16-2023 | 03:19 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Wouldn't this be all the more reason to stiffen the rear with a 27mm tb? And 19mm sway as well as keeping the front sway untouched? The car atm has 2 very different spring rates front and rear, so wouldn't having them pretty much equal allow the car to be even more stable? And the staggered set up will make it understeer at the limit like what I'm looking for right?
Any fine tune adjustment from there can be made by adjusting the rebound and compression on the shocks. Please let me know if any of this is untrue
​​
The only way to really know is start adding parts and get the car on a track or Auto X course.
You'll want to start off easy to find the limits of the car and driver.

I currently have M030 on my '89 with 17" wheels running 235 tires up front and 255's in the rear with equal tire pressures, camber plates, strut brace, front middle sway bar braces w/ delrin bushings and 19mm 3-way rear bar w/ delrin bushes. The car is pretty neutral with the sway bar set to the middle hole but suffers from over-steer if I set it to the stiffer hole. I also have, and enjoy, some old school Weltmeister Chips in the car and the boost comes on pretty aggressively.

I suspect with what you're planning you'll need to keep the rear bar pretty soft if you're looking to set up for under-steer (middle hole or softer), I would recommend starting out softer so there's no surprises.
Not sure how much experience you have with these cars or turbo cars in general but If you come into boost on corner exit and don't have the car well balanced, you might be in for a surprise
Not something to mess around with on the street. Good luck.

Last edited by mj951; 01-16-2023 at 03:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used this coilover kit?