Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924 Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 02:42 AM
ke76
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 924 Project

Hi Rennlisters,

Thought I'd introduce myself and my project. This will be a slowburn project, and no promises on frequent updates. This project may not be to everyone's liking, but that's ok. I'll try to keep it as Porsche as possible, and I do think the end result will be respectful to the brand.

So, starting from a somewhat rough but solid 924 I am planning a Carrera GTS inspired EV conversion, let's say GTe.

The base car had a seized engine, and a 3sp auto. Perfect for conversion, I'm not ruining anything special here!

Still plenty of details to work out, but the rough plan is:

Tesla Small Drive Unit in the back
Battery TBD, will do this last
Aluminium suspension arms F+R off a 87 944 (got this )
Boxster calipers + 944 discs in rear (got this, but need to make adapters)
Boxster S calipers + discs
Coilovers F+R
7x17/9x17 Wheels from a 996 Targa (got this)
Carrera GTS bumpers/flares/wing
Keeping Weight down

So I got the car back home just before Christmas, and getting it stripped down. A couple of surprises as always. The nice battery compartment turned out to be fibreglass lined, hiding some nasty rust beneath. So starting the project with some welding, not what I hoped for but done now. Also found a previous ding on the right rear wheel arch. Not the greatest repair but it's solid and I'll cut most of it out anyway when I fit the flares. Finally, when I unbolted the drivers seat I found a small crack from what looks like an offroad excursion, so that will need welding too.
But other than that, I haven't found any rust. The dash is almost crack free too, there's a 1cm small crack just starting to form.

Anyway, here's a picture of what it looks like now, and what the plan is. The 3D model is in Rhino, I started with a model from Forza but have tweaked it to reflect my build (including the wheels). It's been fun playing around with different color schemes but at least for now I'll stick with red. Once I get the gearbox out I'll start building a more detailed model around the motor and mounts

Cheers,

Kris

The following 2 users liked this post by ke76:
924RACR (01-03-2023), curtisr (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 11:41 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

There is a father-son EV conversion of a 924s shared here. They post updates on youtube.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:23 AM
ke76
8th Gear

Default Update

About time to do an update on this. Steady progress, getting a few things done each week. Big ticket items have been
-Interior stripped down and sound deadening removed
-Stripping paint off both rear quarters preparing to cut the fenders for flares
-Removing transmission, torque tube, rear axle, fuel tank, fuel lines etc
-Degreasing and pressure washing underneath the car. It is so much nicer to work on now
-Cutting/welding left wheel arch in preparation for Carrera GT flares.

Next step is to do the same on the right wheel arch, and fix up the crack on the drivers seat mount before I pack up the welder.Then I'll take the opportunity to paint the underbody before I start installing new suspension and brakes, really looking forward to that. Finally, now that I have got everything cleaned up I have started playing around with photogrammetry so I can 3d model the mounting arrangement for the motor and rear battery pack. For being my first attempt it looks pretty promising, hopefully I can improve it with more photos.

Last edited by ke76; 02-25-2023 at 05:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
924RACR (02-25-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 08:32 AM
ke76
8th Gear

I guess it's time for another update, steady progress being made.
Rear suspension more or less, done have left torsion bars out for now so that I could check clearance to the wheel arches at full compression. Boxster rear brakes are installed on a 3d printed adapter only at this stage, once I verify the fronts are good I'll get these CNC machined. Also missing the sway bar. need to weld on the brackets as mine didn't have them. But, generally really happy to havve the car back on the wheels again, the aluminium swingarms looks so uch better than the old pressed 924 equivalents.
Also completed stripping paint of the entire rear section of the car, and primed it to avoid rust as it will still take some time before I can get this to paint.
What else? Cleaned up the boot, and painted in black just in case I can't be bothered with a carpet. Or maybe I'll go lightweight with just a partial carpet. Anyway, it feels better to have it looking nicer even if it may be covered up (and it's dusty already). Time to move to on to engine bay next, then refitting front suspension with new bits.

Last edited by ke76; 06-04-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:34 AM
ke76
8th Gear

Time for another update, been a few things happening:
-Got a 924 GTS bodykit, fenders and front bumper fitted. Was quite fiddly work to get it installed, but finally done
-Front coilovers fitted, late 944 control arms & hubs
-Ended up rebuilding steering rack (easy)
-ibooster installed
-Got custom adapters cnc'd for the boxster brakes. Using std 944 discs in the rear, and boxster discs + centering rings at the front.

-Next up is completing brake lines and installing rear fender flares.

Quick Reply: 924 Project