Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear CV boot torn...what to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 12:39 PM
dave120
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear CV boot torn...what to replace?

So I put the S2 up on the lift today (still up there now actually) to finally get around to installing my Iceshark light kit and change my oil and oil pressure sender that's leaking, and I noticed my left rear CV boot is town about halfway through and it spewed its grease all over everything back there (wheel, caliper, brake lines, trailing arm). My question is, do you just replace the boot on these or do you replace the whole shaft? I figure I'm going to go ahead and do both sides cuz the other side is starting to lose alittle grease too. Which parts should I replace and where's the best place to get them?

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any idea how old the CVs are on this car?

OE CVs last a really long time and should ordinarily just need periodic regreasing. If yours have been maintained and it's just the boot that is torn (which is somewhat unusual, I might add), I have a brand new boot from a Löbro kit that I didn't need since mine were OK that you can have.

Proper maintenance involves taking out the half shafts by removing the triple-square bolts (6 per CV joint) and taking apart the CVs to clean and regrease them. Löbro OEM rebuild kits are around $85 and come with the boot.

On an S2, I would go with OEM CVs, as they are heavy duty units. On a lower power NA like my 83, I got away with the VW Vanagon CVs also made by Löbro for around $36 each. It's not hard at all to do, just very messy so keep lots of degreaser handy.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:17 PM
dave120
Drifting

The CVs on it are original (15 years, 160k miles). They've been regreased at least once in the last 30k. I dunno if it hit something that tore it or what, but I figure since they're original it may be time to put some new ones on. It dumped grease EVERYWHERE...thatw as fun to clean up!

I'm gonna call my parts guy today and see what it's gonna cost me to replace the entire half shafts since It's been a few months since I've inspected it and don't know if the joint has been contaminated or what, but there's almost no grease left in there at this point.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:34 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I regreased and rebooted one of the CVs on my 968 in January. Its not a bad job, other than getting the shaft off of the car. But mine had not lost its grease only had a small newly formed tear.

If I had been able to find them I would have replaced both CV shafts with rebuilt units. If you can find them I suggest this approach.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:06 PM
dave120
Drifting

Yeah the grease is pretty much completely gone from the driver side shaft...I think I'm just gonna order replacements for both shafts...the car's getting old..why mess with doing half the job?
Old 05-07-2004, 03:10 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, if replacing do both.

You may be able to get rebuilt shafts from a local autoparts store or online somewhere. I probably would have opted for rebuilt vs new. If you do buy new http://www.sunset-porsche.com is likely to have the best price.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My original CV joints looked like crap inside when I replaced them. They had 135K, and the bearing races were galled in several spots.

I bought replacements from Zims.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look around as you can usually find new axel.joints for not much more than just the cv joints.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:46 PM
dave120
Drifting

yeah I think I'm gonna do the whole axle on both sides. I'm nearing completion of today's project of installing the Icehsark wiring kit...it looks pretty slick once you get it all routed in there. Just some minor dressing of wires to do and then I can see what difference I'll get with my lights..and daylight is running out just in time!

Quick Reply: Rear CV boot torn...what to replace?