Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Options...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 10:41 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Options...

My A/C stopped working a last year and i've been to cheap to do much about it because i planned to swap over to 134a. Before i put the car away for the winter this year i had my shop diagnose the A/C system. They said there was a slight leak and they couldn't find it with their dye method. I also had them drain and clean out the old R-12 in preparation for a conversion.

I'll be taking my car out of winter storage pretty soon and im weighing my options. I was told the leak is pretty small, so im thinking maybe i can just swap the drier unit and the fittings add some of that special A/C oil and charge up with 134a. That seems like a temporary solution i guess. . .Is it worth it? I also have a functional used compressor off another 924S, so i could also swap the compressor to one i know works well.

My other option is to buy the complete $500 kit from various sources and swap out the compressor, drier and the expansion valve.

I'd like to hear what you guys think about these strategys...

Thanks!
Erich
Old 05-07-2004, 11:46 AM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Erich-I'm just going to do some rambling here.

There are about a couple of ways to repair this. Each one will give you different chances of long term success. The best way would be to replace everything...but definately not the most cost effective.

That's got to be a small leak to not be seen with the dye. Or, it could be in the evaporator. How long did it take to start blowing warm? I imagine it took some time. I would be willing to bet that if you re-charge the system, it will leak again. You (or your wrench) should clean up (the outside) of every piece of the system, re-charge it and add new dye. You have got to find the leak. It would be expensive to hang a bunch of parts hoping to fix a leak that you cannot identify.

When you re-charge, remember to pull the system into a vacum for a good period of time. If it has leaked, air has come in. Air means water, and water kills the system. Do replace the drier, the dessicant bag is probably useless in it now-if it has been leaking for some time.

Do not use any of the "A/C Stop Leak" crap. It's not good to use.

So after all that, replace the drier, charge it up, new dye, and look for the leak.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:25 PM
gleamingred944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a small leak after converting. My shop used a "stop leak". It stopped the leak, and everything has worked fine since then, except of course for the reduced cooling of 134 compared to R-12.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:48 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

rip it out
Old 05-07-2004, 04:26 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SamGrant951
rip it out

I thought of that but when its 90 degrees out and i have to dress formally and sit in traffic its not an option...
Old 05-07-2004, 04:37 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by ErichCS

I thought of that but when its 90 degrees out and i have to dress formally and sit in traffic its not an option...
Why................that's why I have another car as a daily driver! (boy....that's false economy, eh?)
Old 05-07-2004, 07:16 PM
Mike the Rookie
Advanced

You could also just charge it up with Freeze 12. It may hold the charge for a while and maybe even 'till fall. If the leak is so hard to find it must be a small leak and may take a while for it to leak back out. Freeze 12 is about 9 bucks a can vs. 59 a pound for R12.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:28 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Never heard of Freeze 12...Is that interchangeable with R-12?
Old 05-08-2004, 12:15 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

You're supposed to remove the R12 and replace it with Freeze 12. I think you're supposed to be certified to order it.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:52 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

What are the benefits and differences between 134a? I just have never heard anything about Freeze 12 before. Most people i see convert to 134a... Thanks!
Erich
Old 05-08-2004, 09:41 AM
helzerr
Advanced

R134a is the current standard refrigerant, so most any A/C shop will be equiped to service a system filled with it. The same cannot be said for Freeze 12. Freeze 12 is also a blended refrigerant, and there is some concern that the ratio of the blended gasses will change over time. This is because the molecules of each gas in the blend are a different size, and therefore will leak at different rates. As a result, the gas you recover from a system filled with Freeze 12 may not be Freeze 12 any longer.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know if this will help you, but it worked for me and I need A/C year round here in the Caribbean.

Several months ago the A/C system in my 83 quit working and I found I had a leaking condenser due to a run in with a parking space marker. I got a used condenser from a Rennlister (looks like you already have one) and replaced it myself (two bolts hold it on plus you need some flared wrenches for the lines).

To recharge, I somewhat hesitantly bought a "2 Way R-134a Retrofit & Charging Kit" made by "interdynamics" for around $35 at a local auto parts store.

I put the front of the car up on jackstands, followed the instructions, and voilà! I've had solid working A/C for 3 or 4 months now, blowing really cold, no problems.

YMMV
Old 05-08-2004, 11:27 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Luis - I wanted to hear something like that!! I have a good used compressor that i'm going to use and then I'll buy a new dryer and i'll charge up. I just wanted someone to tell me that could work...I appreciate the post Luis!

Any other useful information or issues that came up while charging w/134a?

Thanks
Erich
Old 05-08-2004, 11:51 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a couple of thoughts:
* Last year, a mechanic looked at my AC and concluded that there was a leak in the suction hose [refrigerant doesn't just disappear afterall]. I refilled it back up at home and one year later, I'm still getting low 40deg at the vent
* If you need EPA certification, it can be had online. I went to http://www.imaca.org -- costs $15 and you have to pass a multi-choice open-book 25 question test. The certification lets you buy stuff like R12 (though many places don't actually seem to check...)
Old 05-08-2004, 12:20 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Wow Joe thanks for the heads up on that one. If only R12 wasn't so expensive i'd stay that route...but i think for ease and cost its better for me to use the 134a which is readily available at most auto stores(and walmart!)

Thanks!
Erich

Quick Reply: A/C Options...