Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

By Popular Demand: How to refinish phone dials the cheap way!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally posted by ErichCS
Thanks Andy - That was a great post! I am about to begin this process myself with the Wurth Paint i purchased. I was debating using the aircraft remover and the wurth self etching primer...What are peoples thoughts on that? Is that better than sanding?

Thanks!
Erich
Aircraft remover will not only remove the paint but also the primer. You will have to primer and paint. My technique saves more time than completely stripping and repainting the wheel. To be honest the results will most likely be the same. But, stripping the wheel would end up making the paint a lot smoother. Be prepared for a very long job though Erich.

Now I have to goto school and find a girl in my class to paint my nuts too...not just lug..

Andy
Old 05-06-2004, 10:38 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Andy - I have heard others say that Aircraft remover won't strip the primer, only the cc and paint. But who knows! It will proabley have a lot to due with the strength and condition of the primer...We'll see....I'll be trying this once graduation and moving out are all behind me...

-Erich
Old 05-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Eyal 951
i dunno of many women that are enthusiastic about painting lugnuts and using rennlist. Chris got lucky.
~Eyal
Dude- you have NO IDEA how lucky.. I think I'll have to buy her a Boxster someday.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Chris_924s
Dude- you have NO IDEA how lucky.. I think I'll have to buy her a Boxster someday.
My girlfriend has already told me what color boxster she wants :-/

I'm just glad she like's Porsche's though
Old 05-07-2004, 03:43 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Great how-too, perfect because i have a wheel that i would like to cleanup and repaint so i can use it as display type piece in my room. Will probably start it sometime next week depending on the weather outside.

If you were to have a phone dial as decoration in your room...what color would you make it? White, black, gun metal, regular silver? I was going to try a anthracite with polished lip (similar to 'the' imfamous set of PD's on German ebay), but im not sure if i would be up to the task of doing something that intensive.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:36 AM
njwilser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently refinished a set of cookies and found an SOS or Brillo pad worked well for the initial cleaning and sanding. Same idea as a scotch brite but the soap is already inside and you might already have some uner your kitchen sink. I used aircraft stripper on the outer rim of the wheel cause the clear coat was cracked, pealing and nasty. It really worked well and was no big deal. I actually stripped them on the car the weekend before I painted them. Removing the valve stem to deflate the tires worked great to mask the tire.Problems I had were

Trying to spray paint in windy conditions

Be warned! You either have to apply clear after 20 min. or so or wait for the paint to cure. I tried to clear a wheel the next day and the finish wrinkled slightly. Follow directions.

It's really no big deal. If your wheels look lousy you would have to be a moron not to make an improvement.

MW
Old 05-07-2004, 07:14 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

In regards to polishing the edges of the rim, what would be the best way to go about it? What comes to my mind is putting the car on jackstands, mounting the wheel (without tire?) on the rear, and then let the car idle along in first gear. Make the drivertrain into a makeshift metal lathe....
Any ideas on how well that would work?
Old 05-07-2004, 07:33 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

For some reason the movie Ferris Bulers comes to mind, meaning the Classic Ferrari flying out the window. I'm not sure if that's such a good idea...I think most people dismount the wheels and use power tools to do this.
-Erich
Old 05-07-2004, 07:57 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

"you know when my dad got furious when I broke my retainer? That was just a piece of plastic this is a Ferrari.."

Patrat, you'll kill the car if you do that...

Andy
Old 05-09-2004, 05:17 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

US Wheels in El Cajon, CA do a really nice job of straightening and refinishing for about $85. Their number is 619 596-8033.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

for the room. i woudl do it like those wheels that have been mosted numberous times on ebay.. silver lips with gloss black inner wheel
Old 05-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Erich, I was one of the guys who bought the Wurth from your group buy purchase. Do not use a stripper unless you want to go down to bare metal. Good if you are going to re-prime, bad if not. The self-etching primer worked great, but make sure you sand on it before you paint!! I used some red scotch bright and it worked A-OK. To be honest the 'new' silver that Wurth has decided to replace the original OEM PD color is to gray and lifeless looking!! I do not like it! The orig is a white, lustery, silver, and the new color looks more like a light gray primer. There is a big difference in colors even in the sunlight, but is more dramatic in the shade. Depends on your preference. If wanted to go with a darker color I would have chosen an anthracite or Graphite. Thank you though Erich for the group buy!

Hey STIG; what color name was the Duplicolor you used? I am going to try that next. How does it compare with the original color? Do you have any pictures? TIA!
Old 05-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Also STIG did you use Enamel or Lacquer?
Thank you!
Old 05-09-2004, 05:50 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Hey Charlie - I was just thinking about this. Porsche changed the paint color of their wheels in 1983/1984. There is suppose to be a slight shade difference between the two, so that could explain the difference in the results from what you had previously. I'm assuming the PD's you are talking about are for the 84 944.

I have yet to refinish my wheels, i will be doing so in the next few weeks. Sorry it wasn't to your liking Charlie
-Erich
Old 05-09-2004, 06:14 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Eyal 951
i dunno of many women that are enthusiastic about painting lugnuts and using rennlist. Chris got lucky.
~Eyal
Or stand in the rain for 5 hours waiting for an autoX, Chris really needs to kiss her ^$$ A LOT more than he does.

Quick Reply: By Popular Demand: How to refinish phone dials the cheap way!