Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped CV Joint Bolt Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 05:38 AM
RyanWu
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stripped CV Joint Bolt Removal

Hello all, been lurking for a bit now but decided to post for the first time here to share a tip that might help someone out in the future.

For those who are not aware, the 944's CV joint bolts come with either a standard hex socket head or a funky triple-square / 12-point / XZN socket head. Guess what type is on my car? Yeah. After realizing the Torx bit I was attempting to use was slowly destroying the socket, I quickly took my *** straight over to the nearest auto parts store. And while the proper bit did work just fine on the other 11 bolts in the rear, that first bolt was already positively stripped.

Instead of using normal stripped screw extraction techniques, I opted to take advantage of the half-moon CV retaining plate as a way to break away the bolt. Given that each retaining plate is secured by two screws, and having only one bolt remaining to remove, I was able to use a screwdriver wedged in between the plate and the CV axle itself to lever the unscrewed side of the retaining plate away from the CV axle. If the stripped bolt you are working on is on the counterclockwise side of the retaining plate, then this first step is when you should start to already notice the head of the bolt back out just a little bit. Keep levering until you can comfortably give the retaining plates a couple of taps with a light hammer or mallet, either in that same direction as you were levering, or, if the bolt you're working on is on the clockwise side of the retaining plate, then simply tap in the opposite direction. (Righty tighty lefty loosey everyone!) You might need to repeat this cycle of levering and tapping a couple of times, but it should only get easier as the screw loosens until you are good to stop. Since this method relies on the friction between the retaining plate and the heavily torqued bolt, movement of the retaining plate quickly loses effectiveness as the bolt continues to back out. However, it is still plenty enough to unscrew the remaining threads by hand.

One last thing to note, I was able to use this method with pretty much zero damage and/or deformation to my retaining plate, however, if yours does get damaged, replacements can be had for around 10 bucks.

Thanks for reading everyone, take care! ​​​​​​​
Old 10-10-2022, 12:03 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 626 Likes on 371 Posts

Congratulations on the removal!
Haven't needed to remove any stripped CV bolts, but way too much practice removing other ones.
Had good luck drilling down the center, starting with a small pilot, then larger bits until the bolt loses its strength/tension.
'Socket Head' bolts make it pretty easy to center the drill, and left hand bits help out...

Quick Reply: Stripped CV Joint Bolt Removal