Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking the car up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
[B
To get the car up, I momentarily use the donuts right behind the front wheel arches and quickly position a jackstand underneath the frame rails. I never use the crossmember because it's covered by the engine protection pan and I can't tell exactly what's beneath it.

Good luck and be careful. [/B]
Zoinks!--I never realized this. I have used the front donuts as jackstand points for the slave/master replacement and front A-arm replacement.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:03 AM
a.n.other
Instructor

I use the Rhino ramps too - but i need to drive onto some 1" bits of plank before the ramps to get the clearance required, but still far easier than jacking it up!
Old 05-06-2004, 10:42 AM
heybiff
Instructor

Default So what are the donuts behind the wheel wells?

On my Audi that is where the jack points is. What was/is it for on the 944?

Also what jacks do you all use to get the car high enough for jackstands? My floor jack doesn't go high-enough to get the car on stands, but anything better seems like it wouldn't clear the side skirts. Unfortunately my car doesn't start, so ramps are out for now. But I really would like to get it 6 or 8" higher up on the jackstands.

heybiff
Old 05-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heybiff: I don't know if this would work for you, but:
place your (hydraulic)floor jack wher it should be, and then place a block of wood between the car and the jack. This should allow you to get through the side skirts, and add a few inches of travel.
Stan
Old 05-06-2004, 12:31 PM
elf89
Pro

I've heard the donuts behind the front wheels were for the factory to move the body only around when it was just a shell. When the motor and everything is in, those points are not strong enough. Plenty of stories around of them collapsing or bending the rocker panel.

Bloodraven, I'm sure you know this, but I think we should mention safety for anyone whose just starting to work on their car. Never go under a car that is supported only by a jack. Use jackstands or a ramp and be extremely careful to make sure the jackstands are stable and any wheels on the ground are blocked.

Those framerails are sturdy, but pretty far inboard. I'd consider putting a big block of wood just under those donuts we discussed because I'd rather have the car crushed than my head, chest, etc. Don't use cement blocks because they can crumble.

There are not much more vulnerable positions for a human body than under 3,000 pounds of steel. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:06 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Yeah, I got my jackstands...just can't seem to get the car high enough off the ground to get them under there....guess I am too scared of the thign falling on me...lol....ramps however...i like this idea....
Old 05-06-2004, 01:38 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Default OK, I figured as much with the donuts...

Just wanted to hear from the informed.

I'll try the wood. Being a city dweller there's nut much wood lying around the house. But I guess I'll stop by HomeDepot and make a purchase. The idea of the car clipping off the block still seems kind of scary, but I'll give it a try.

Also, and this has probably been beaten to death, the frame rails, are they flat or actual rails? I didn't feel like taking the plastic shroud off to see, and just used a small block of wood between the jackstand and the rail. Is it flat? Should I look for different jackstands -- mine are U shaped on top ( fits my Audi nicely )?

On a side note. Going to try to tackle my Tbelt, waterpump this weekend. Should I replace my seals even if they don't leak? What about the mythical oil pump sleeve? Is that just a matter of yanking the seal and pulling on a round piece of metal? I'd like to hit as many of the bases as possible while I'm in there and put them out of my mind.

heybiff
Old 05-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a huge semi jack which i got from a yard sale. Its about 5 feet long and pretty low clearance so i can go all the way up to the subframe below the engine and raise the front from there. Im a lucky b*tch :-p

Also, its a pain we're allowed to lift by the little donuts behind the rear wells. Those are really useful.

I've heard of ppl lifting their 944's by the radiator support. Ive seen it done, i dont recomment it in any way as it's just asking for trouble...but it does seem to work!
Old 05-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: OK, I figured as much with the donuts...

Originally posted by heybiff
Also, and this has probably been beaten to death, the frame rails, are they flat or actual rails? I didn't feel like taking the plastic shroud off to see, and just used a small block of wood between the jackstand and the rail. Is it flat? Should I look for different jackstands -- mine are U shaped on top ( fits my Audi nicely )?
On the early cars, they're quite visible. On the 951 and S2 they're harder to spot, largely because only a short portion protrudes from the undercarriage. I was using the pressure points in the owner's manual (which I didn't like) until I spotted the frame rails and used them with good results.

On the late cars, they look like a 2x4 that tapers off. There's a 3 or 4 inch section that you can use to support the car. I use heavy pipe stands with a hockey puck on top.

Good luck and be careful!

Quick Reply: Jacking the car up!