Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

test your brakes, get free tools!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 07:49 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Avionics- Ever work on a 727? If so you will know about the "permanent" wrenches that seem to fly around in the Hydraulic service bay... LOL
Old 05-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by 944_S_TYPE
Mr. Avionics- Ever work on a 727? If so you will know about the "permanent" wrenches that seem to fly around in the Hydraulic service bay... LOL
Verry confidence inspiring, its OK, I'm a pilot, I'm used to the crap you mechanics always mess up on! (kidding!)
I went to UND, and boy you dont want to be a mechanic there. students doing dumb **** all the time. examples:
genius primes the engine for about 10 seconds, turns the key, and is greated by some decent sized flames... dumbass.
Some chic is on her way back from a cross country, alternator quits on her. Its night, shes about 7 miles away from the airport, on with aproach. she panicks and shuts of everything, enclusing the engine! put it down in a field. lol, she could have flown for at least an hour or two with everything on! beside the fact that the UND planes have heavy duty batteries.
~Eyal
Old 05-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

The only really nice flames I have ever seen on a start was back in about 90. Out on the Bomber Alert Pad putting a new aircraft on status when the klaxon sounds. So there are 5 B-52's and 3 or 4 KC-135's all being cart started about 3 min later. The one next to us has a small enging fire when they started it. So they shut down the 2 engines on that pod. Except when they shut down they dump a couple gallons of fuel, right into the fire...
Old 05-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Richard's "stay alive" rules to flying: Chapter 5: AME's:

1: Walk arounds take 5 times as long when I know a student AME was working on the plane.

2: Carry extra tools in my flying bag , just in case ...

3: Make sure the AME's are drinking/getting high AFTER working on your plane.

4: Trust your AME, but don't trust your AME.

5: Don't **** off your AME. (at least not BEFORE you go flying)

6: Don't snag anything until you've first checked to see if it's been deferred. (see #5)
Old 05-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

I've always been baffled by the things pilots looked at while doing walkarounds.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:51 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Ha ha ha, You should see a B737 after you install a new Fuel control unit... If the engine run is at night they shoot flames like 20'- 30' behind the motor till they are trimmed! Really cool.....
Old 05-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

737 with afterburner....kewl!!!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Adam - when your *** is on the line you look at every little detail man. It's called paranoia!!!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

especially when you dont know what dumbass flew the plane bofre you, and what he did. Rich, your a pilot too I assume?
~Eyal
Old 05-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

Rich, I can understand that.....

It's just the things that I have normally seen them checking, weren't the things I would have been worried about.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I dunno. I guess how thourough a walkaround is, depends on a lot of things. I know a '37 pilot is going to be limited to checking things on the bottom 1/2 of the a/c, and will be somewhat complacent becuase he knows the things that usually fail. But someone renting, say, a small twin from a flight school for an IFR flight is gonna be ultra **** becuase of the nature of the flight and the fact that it's from a flight school.

Call me ****, but there are very few things on a plane that can fail and not adversely affect the flight.

I heard someone making a big deal out of a missing cowling screw once, though. I thought that was kind of stupid.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

commercial airlines scare me......

I want to see someone checking hydraulic fluid and engine oil levels after it lands.

I'm talking about fighter pilots worrying about a fuel drip from a wet wing or being able to wiggle a pylon that has had an external fuel tank installed while paying little or no attention to what red X's have been signed off in the forms since the last flight or paying attention to fluid levels.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

Oh and yes I have seen written up with my own two eyes

"DCU-238 failed to operate in the O-F-F mode"

corrective action = replaced stick actuator, ops checked good.

:P

had to throw one in there
Old 05-06-2004, 01:01 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

"Haha, i dropped a 10mm short socket on the engine pan, never managed to get it out. Fell out somewhere between Trenton NJ and Oyster Bay NY. If anyone happens to find that...PM me." LOL!!

"I'm talking about fighter pilots worrying about a fuel drip from a wet wing" HAHAHAHA!

"DCU-238 failed to operate in the O-F-F mode" Sounds like the current situation on US roads... maybe some people just should be operating this stuff
Old 05-06-2004, 01:29 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last 30 times or so I've been on a plane, I've had a parachute on....

" Some chic is on her way back from a cross country, alternator quits on her. Its night, shes about 7 miles away from the airport, on with aproach. she panicks and shuts of everything, enclusing the engine! put it down in a field. lol, she could have flown for at least an hour or two with everything on! beside the fact that the UND planes have heavy duty batteries. "

I remember from driver's ed in high-school that they said to immediately pull over and shut off the car if all your gauges light up like you've had a failure of some sort. Well, this chic I know was coming back from spring-break over the 154 towards UCSB when her dash warning lights when on. So she freaks out and shuts off the car (while in motion), pulls the keys from the ignition and throws it out the window !!! And yes, she was a blonde! At least she got a new BMW convertible out of that incident.

"while paying little or no attention to what red X's have been signed off in the forms since the last flight or paying attention to fluid levels."

Some airline humor:

P = The problem logged by the pilot.
S = The solution and/or action taken by the maintenance crew.

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

P: Test flight OK, except auto land very rough.
S: Auto land not installed on this aircraft.

P: No. 2 propeller seeping prop fluid.
S: No. 2 propeller seepage normal. Nos. 1, 3 and 4 propellers lack normal seepage.

P: Something loose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on backorder.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200-fpm descent.
S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
S: That's what they're there for!

P: IFF inoperative.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windscreen.
S: Suspect you're right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.
S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with words.

P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.

--------------------------------------------------

Speaking of mice, I need about 100 small dead mice for a photo project. About thumb size would do. I've laid out a couple of traps in closets and cupboards and only have gotten about 4 or so this past week. Nothing in the past 3 days, so I think they've caught on and aren't sending any more recon parties. And I don't really want to kill any extras unnecessarily, just ones that would've been killed in traps anyway or were cat bait.

Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: test your brakes, get free tools!