Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Car wont' start

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 10:09 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Car wont' start

I went out to start my car this morning and it won't start. I turn the key and it turns over and starts for a split second, then it dies again... sometimes it will completely start (5 seconds max) then die again... any one have any ideas??
Old 05-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, It's looks as though it's NOT electrical.. maybe. fuel starvation? did you get new fuel recently- bad gas? Do you have a spare DME Relay? can you hear the fuel pump?

Check your battery terminals , main grounds and starter power cable for clean/ tight connections. Intermittent sucks.

DO disconnect the battery when disconnecting and testing main grounds, starter cable.
(I duct tape the cables to the side of the battery so it wont accidentally connect and power the system while working on electricals..)

Good Luck, keep us posted.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:29 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I can't hear the fuel pump.... the battery terminals are fine... i checked that, its not the starter, cause i can hear it turning...

what is a DME relay?? i don't have one i just got the car on saturday
Old 05-04-2004, 10:41 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DME relay (aka as a fuel pump relay) is a ~$20 item in the fuse box. It seems to be a frequent source of failure and many of us carry a spare just for such an occasion. If you do a search on past posts, you'll find references on how to 'jump' the connectors. You'l also find good reference at clark's garage: http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-05.htm

Just last night, I was looking at the old receipts from the PO -- seems like he paid $130 in labor/parts to diagnose/fix a DME relay failure. Isn't rennlist great? Now sign up and become a member!
Old 05-04-2004, 10:41 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Alright so i'm a HUGE dumbass.... My car has a fuel shut off that you operate with your key... well i shut it off because i don't live in the best neighborhood and as you can see it would definately keep someone from stealing the car... I turned the fuel back on and the car started without a problem... thanks for the help even though it was operator error... still getting used to te car

Quick Reply: HELP!! Car wont' start