Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch lock doesn't open with key!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 12:43 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jenket944
I'm having the same problem. Noticed it when I bought the thing 2 years ago and still haven't figured it out. The plastic cam makes contact with the switch, but nothing happens....I suspect electrical issue is to blame. And I am but a mechanical engineer - I hate dealing with the electrical stuff.
Yup, sounds like we got the same problem. Anyone come up with a soltion to this?
Old 05-11-2004, 01:14 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cyrus-

Okay- not sure if this will help, BUT- as you know, & VERY, VERY, VERY FEW people are aware of this- I have personally enlightened 3 knowledgeable Porsche mechanics here in the last few months- the later cars, starting AT LEAST w/1988 Turbo S- had an electric mechanism- you CANNOT unlock teh hatch w/OUT the electric mechanism working- I don't CARE who tells you otherwise- I argued w/my regular mechanic for a few minutes- HE said "it doesn't matter- IF you turn the key, it releases the hatch"- I told him to listen to the thing WHILE he turned the key, &, he would PLAINLY HEAR the electric mechanism- he said "THAT is ONLY so you can release the hatch from the front, w/the button"- I only ASSUME that ALL 944's have a release switch above the hood open switch(?)- ANYWAY- my mechanic tried to prove his point to me- he reached back under the release of the hatch & pulledsomething loose- I think it was a cable- THEN, he shut the hatch- THEN, he TRIED to open it w/the key & found, that I WAS CORRECT & that he had had loicked himself OUT As much as I wanted to kick him in the head, like I do MOST people who have had sold me stuff for this car, &/or given me info on it, I had to laugh, sa he now knew that I at LEAST nkew something- he always rags on me for listening to ANYONE about these cars- says I should NEVER get online to lerarn about them- he's been right probably 90-100 times so far too, out of about 97-102 or so- that's upsetting, so, it was nice show HIM something for a change...

Well, he had to crawl BACK through teh car, from the front, & hook whateverr it was BACK up to the hatch- it took him a few minutes- only took 5seconds to REMOVE it & probably 3minutes to hook it back It worked- so, I'm thinking you've done something similar- I'm not sure this will help at ALL, but, I hope it does...

BTW- do YOU have any recommendatioons for brake pads? Ever tried Ferrodos? I'm trying to find something besides PAgid, Axxis, PBR, Hawk, & mintex, as I've recieved as many bad reviews on each of these as good reviews- I need a QUIET pads w/GOOD intitial bite, low fade (for a STREET CAR), & good bite both HOT & COLD... any input?

Old 05-11-2004, 01:44 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Robby, sorry, but the only first hand experience I've had with pads on these cars are Pagids. Sure they squeek like bitches, but they work like angels. I am DEFINATLEY looking for the EXACT same pad you are looking for when I change mine (which is going to be soon). The squeeking is getting to be very annoying, and I can do without it. I'll do some research on the subject, and bring up whatever I can find on a quite, yet effective, pad.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:07 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks a lot man- I really appreciate that- I need to ask though- Which specific Pagids do YOU have? Do you know which ones are referred to as "sports?" Are they "black" or "blue?" Also, ,do you know which Pagid, the blue, black, sport, or orange, etc, is the most streetable & which is more of a need-to-be-warmed-up-track-pad? Last- whichever ones YOU have, do you have anti-squeel shims or anything? Several people have told me that they have Pagids & they do NOT squeel- one had said that his only squeeled a little when they got hot- another said HIS only squeeled when they were cold, but, when they got a tiny bit warm, they did NOT- that in the summer, they usually didn't squeel at all... I HATE the conflicting info thing- there's SO MUCH of it w/this car too- I wish, just ONCE, that I could get the exact same answer several times in a row...
Old 05-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW- electrical gremlins abound to to poor or intermittent grounds. Clean the ground spade lugs bundle adne the grounding surface under the carpet near the rear (Ok, under the hatch- gonna have to crawl back there if your hatch wont open) and try it again.
I don't recommend this in direct sunlight unless you want to sweat off a few pounds.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:09 PM
jenket944
Pro

Well, FWIW, I can still open my hatch with the release switch at the front. Just doesn't do anything when I turn the key in the hatch keyhole. Maybe I'll take a look back there again and see if I can figure out what's going on.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:30 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

If you get Pagid Blues, with the anti squeel shims, they should NOT squeek. Pagid blacks are one of the FULL RACE COMPOUNDS, so unless you love the noise, don't go black.

Chris, I've tried cleaning the grounds, but it still won't trigger the opening.

Jenket, the only way for me to gain access to the hatch is via the same switch in the front that you are talking about. Jen, we DO have the same problem, if you come up with a solution, let me know, as will I.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd suspect something in the switch at the keylock. The electrical lock is operable, but not closing contact at the switch.

I have electrical knowledge of this problem, however I'm not well versed in the "later" all electric hatch operation. Perhaps someone else can chime in on the specific switch or contact involved that the key unlock at the hatch to resolve this.

BTW I love my Pagid's.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks a lot for the input Cyrus- I think I'm down to either Pagid BLUES OR Ferrodos.... Might have to flip a coin, BUT, was hoping there would be a little more response to either of my brake pad, OR, Ferrodo threads, as I'm SURE there are at LEAST a FEW more 944's wearing Ferrodos on here....
Old 05-11-2004, 09:56 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Chris_924s
I'm not well versed in the "later" all electric hatch operation.
Chris, you're more than welcome to look at mine and see if you can figure out why it won't work.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alright- PETE- just took a look at your link- BEAUTIFUL car! I don't like many blue cars, but, the 951 is one of the FEW that can wear it WELL! I ALSO like the unique blue interior- several questions:

#1- I don't like that pinstripe either- didn't spend a lot of time on your site, but, did you remove it? What about the door gaurd strips? I'm trying to get rid of mine- most 968's didn't have them & I think the cars LOOK better w/out them...

#2- the airbags- did you actually REMOVE BOTH of them, or just the driver & defeated the passenger? I'm wanting to REMOVE the passenger- I already have a Momo wheel & have defeated the passenger, but, I want it GONE, as well as ANYTHING that has ANYTHING to do w/****bags...

#3- the dash cover(?)- yuo called it a dash "cover"- is that really what it is? It LOOKS like a whole new dash, actually(?)- IF a cover, was it simple to install? It LOOKS VERY good- never seen one that nice before, so, I've just lived w/the few small defrost-vent cracks. Would love to cover mine w/a NICE one- IF your's is a cover, where did you get it & how much?

Thanks a LOT!

Old 05-11-2004, 11:47 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok Robby, here goes:
#1.The pinstripe (and all the paint) is gone. See pg 2 of the gallery.
Door guard moldings are also history.

#2. Passenger airbag is disconnected but still in there. If you remove it you have a rather large hole in the dash.

#3. The dash cover is around $70 from Coverlay manufacturing. It's just thin molded plastic and comes in a variety of colors. Install was pretty simple, it only needed minor trimming.

When the car is finished in a few weeks I'll have a lot more pictures up on that page.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:40 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info- about the passenger air bag- WHY would you have a hole? can't you seperate the air bag from the back of the panel? IF NOT, then, who cares? You would almost HAVE to be able to cut it wouldn't you? IF NOT, & you have a coverlay cover, then again, who cares? You could lay the coverlay OVER the hole & be done- IF the Coverlay is not as strong as a panel, then, I would think a big, light, piece of styrofoam would fill it fine, &, THEN the coverlay- wouldn't something like one of these options work & be simple? Have you ever picked up a passneger side air bag? I'm wondering how much it actually weighs- the steering wheel w/AB included was about TWICE what the Momo weighs- probably lost ~4lbs switching out, &, THAT's including hub adapter, &, 20mm worth of spacers to get myself further back in the car- in all honesty, seating position is pretty poor for a shorter guy, although not many here will admit it... MUCH better w/1.75" brake & accel pedal spacers, 2" clutch spacer, & 20mm worth of steering wheel spacer for a 5'9" short guy like me....

Last edited by Robby; 05-16-2004 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:15 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I just developed this problem with the hatch not opening. Yesterday for the first time, it would not open with the key. I have not yet looked into but will share what I find. The switch up front never worked.

Daniel
Old 05-28-2004, 01:56 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Anyone find a solution to this problem?

Quick Reply: Hatch lock doesn't open with key!!