Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools for a 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Wahoogie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools for a 944 Turbo

Well, the time has almost come for me to get a 944 Turbo. Being so, my mom wants ideas for a graduation present. I figure, what better then a good toolset for the car? I'm looking for good quality tools. I just HATE cheap tools. I've been stuck doing a project more times than I can count just because my dad chose to buy cheap tools and leave me with them. Stipped header bolts, downpipe... you name it I've been there.

So, my question is, for a 944 Turbo, what would be included in a good complete toolset? Looking to only spend a couple grand here.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:01 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

1x set Metric socket wrenches
1x set of metric open end/box end wrenches
1x medium sized vise-grip
1x cheese head bit
1x medium hammer
1x set of screw drivers (strait and phillips)
1x 3/8 inch drive torque wrench
1x breaker bar
1x set allen keys
misc. air tools (impact wrench for loosening wheel bolts, pnumatic ratchet, etc..)
and a few sizes of hex head sockets

At your stage, you can get away with Craftsman, which really aren't that bad. However, if money is no object and you want some tools that you can give to your grandkids, go with S-K, SnapOn, FACOM, MAC, etc..
Old 05-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Wahoogie
Racer

for the turque wrench, what range should I be looking at? I'll most likely go with some higher-quality tools because I'm frankly fed up with my craftsman set. I was helping my friend swap headers on his car and the craftsman socket wrenches just kept slipping. I borrowed my neighbors snap-on, and it came off the first try. I'm sold.

I'm looking for a set I can keep and use for as long as possible. I'm out on my own soon and I don't want to have to spend money I don't have to.

I'm placing my orders soon..
Old 05-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Only spend a couple grand?? Very lucky man.

I'd grab one of Craftsman's middle-size full sets, $400 or so, get a nice ball bearing tool chest from them, another $400, and then order a set of Arnnworx belt tools, SK allen sockets and triple squares, add a 1/2" breaker bar and 1/2" torque wrench, 19mm lug nut soft socket, and you're pretty well set. Of course, that comes nowhere close to your budget, but I've never been unhappy with Craftsman.

Sam
Old 05-03-2004, 06:17 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...I've done everything from rod bearings to replacing the suspension to a head gasket with mostly cheap tools. Tools you don't want to skimp on include a good torque wrench, and...well...that's about the only tool I paid a lot of money for compared to what I could have gotten it for. Many will say otherwise, and I agree that you get what you pay for, but I have had mostly success with stuff ranging from a metric wrench set I bought from the dollar store to a metric ratchet and socket set that my mother bought me from K-Mart when I was 12 that cost all of $10. When I can afford it, I will get good tools, but for now, what I have works, and works well.

Mandatory tools:
-Low profile jack with 18" lifting capability, 2 ton jack stands to match (I have a small jack and an SUV jack instead of the low profile jack)
-Metric wrench set 8mm-19mm incl. 11mm, 24 (maybe its 27)mm thin wrench, two of each
-Metric socket set 8mm-19mm, 22mm, 24mm, 27mm, 32mm, both deep and shallow
-3/8" ratchet (flared with 5 degree increments is a nice bonus)
-1/2" ratchet (same as above)
-hex and star head drivers for the ratchets (all kinds of sizes for the cheesehead stuff...even one standard size for the small bolt holding the distributor cap on the end of the cam)
-Phillips and Flathead screwdrivers
-Something to slip over the handle of your ratchets for added torque (my jack handle works very well)
-Decent torque wrench (I bought a craftsman 1/2" that goes to 120 ft-lbs for $70 or so)
-Stuff for fixing broken bolts and the such (bolt extractor, metric taps)
-Hammer
-Pliers/Channel Locks
-Propane torch
-Duct Tape
-JB Weld
-Bungee cords
-An assortment of metric nuts and bolts so you don't have to run out for them when you need them
-Nice tool chest
-Locktite, anti-sease grease, gasket spray, Power Steering fluid, ATE blue, quarts and quarts of your favorite oil, 3mm vacuum line with tees, funnels, shop towels, a hundred cans of brake parts cleaner, a case of OE oil filters, shop vac, etc.
-tetnis shot
-bandaids and triple antibiotic ointment
-beer

Stuff that is nice to have but not necessary:
-Air compressor w/ hose
-Air ratchet
-Impact wrench
-Impact sockets, 10-19, 21, 24, 27mm
-ratcheting wrenches
-crawler
-Friend to help

Here is a great place to get cheap tools: http://www.harborfreighttools.com/ . You could get all of that stuff on the list for well under a grand, and have many many years of happy repairs. Hope that helps.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Wahoogie
Racer

I'm not saying I have to spend a couple grand, because that is not the case. I'm just stating that my mom is going to spend a couple grand on my graduation and I think I'd like to go for something quality. I'll give the craftsmans a look, but frankly I've been turned off from them in the past. I guess I'm a big believer in "you get what you pay for."

Thanks for all of the quick replies, I'm making my shopping list already.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

2 grand! wow. I have the craftsmen 250 peice tool set, which was like 25o bucks. I've done many things, and rarely have to go and get a tool. but I do sometimes. Be organized, I seem to be losing tools.
~Eyal

Trending Topics

Old 05-03-2004, 06:39 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Don't forget the stack of blank checks tied to the Fed Reserve; they really come in handy with a 951. Get yourself at least one good 3/4" drive breaker bar and sockets as you need them. The rear axle nuts are real fun.
I love my rolling adjustable work stool, especially for brakes. Be sure and have plenty of seats your friends can use while you work on the car.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:39 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00933446000
Old 05-03-2004, 07:52 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Try Zelenda for Hazet tools. www.zelenda.com

The quality is equal or better than Snap-on in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:11 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

In addition to the above, I'm a firm believer in Flare nut wrenches for brake jobs. I believe you'll need 6mm and 10mm.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:07 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Lucky man going to get all these tools might aswell try to get the tools that are used in timing belts changes anoxworks or something like that if you don't want your money spending for the same stuff double the amount. Hmm I don't remember but I don't recall getting anything. Craftsman is pretty good with me but I never had the money to buy snap-on or anything like that so I don't know much.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a 254 piece Craftsmen set from Sears a couple months ago for $200 (normally $250). Its perfect for a learning backyard mechanic like myself, or even a intermediate at home wrench. I have also worked with a full set of Snap-On tools that the wrench at my fathers shop owns. Hes got just about every single thing made by Snap-On in two HUGE chests on wheels. Thier is defenetley a difference between the tools. Both in feel and the way they function. I cant explain it, but Snap-On tools just feel right in the hand. But im not going to necesarily say they are worth the extra cost.

If working with your tools every single day is your trade, i would say spend the extra money (or save up and then spend the extra) on a set of Snap-Ons. If your someone who is backyard mechanic, but is not doing it for a living (and cant afford to spend a couple grand on tools), id say Craftsman tools are fine for the job.

Craftsman are great tools however, you can get them cheap when Sears has those mega sales, just gotta keep watch of the tools section on Sears.Com to be 'in the know' for sales dates. If you break anything, just bring it back and they replace it, which is convienent for me atleast since a Sears is about 10 minutes away (5 minutes if im speeding). Same goes for Snap-On, but personally in the year ive been working on and off at my fathers place helping out i have never seen a Snap-On tool break, i have however seen a few of my fathers ancient Craftsmans break. Its funny when you bring in a breaker bar bent at a 45 degree angle and ask for a new one...

Either is a good choice in my opinion, it just really depends on how much you are willing to spend. Bear in mind, these are the only brands of tools i have any experience with.

Edit - Heh this is literally the 5th edit ive made to this post, anyway itll be the last. This is the tool set i bought, good starter set i think.

Sears 254pc set.

Still on sale it looks like. From this set, i plan on buying a good tool chest and start getting specialty tools like flex sockets, breaker bars...etc. But only buying as i need it.

Last edited by Techno Duck; 05-03-2004 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:49 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Originally posted by Techno Duck
If your working with your tools every single day is your trade, i would say spend the extra money (or save up and then spend the extra) on a set of Snap-Ons. If your someone who is backyard mechanic, but is not doing it for a living (and cant afford to spend a couple grand on tools), id say Craftsman tools are fine for the job.

You got it!! There are a few things that are worth the extra $$ though, namely the torque wrench.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Im not editing the above post by me anymore, 6 times is my limit!

Anyway i forgot to mention. If you are patient enough you can find some pretty good deals on Craftsman tools on Ebay, mainly speciality sets like flex sockets and whatnot. It may take a while to piece together what you want though.

Quick Reply: Tools for a 944 Turbo