Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools for a 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 12:07 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pawn shops are a well kept secrect for name-brand tools - slightly used, of course....;]
Bruce
Old 12-06-2004, 12:28 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Danno
Yeah, the Sears Professional tools are pretty good. I don't know if they better or worse than Snap-on/MAC, but they're definitely better than the ordinary Craftsman.

Another thing you'll find helpful is custom-made tools for a single specific bolt/nut on the car. I just pull out the grinder and torch and make my own the very first time I need it, that way I won't waste hours trying to get a stubborn bolt only to have to make the tool later, doubling up on the time. Things like the single bolt on the turbo's crossover flange with the welded-nut that can only be reached from the bottom. Too tight for a ratchet & socket, so a closed-end 15mm wrench is the only thing that'll fit. but it's too short to get enough leverage to undo that bolt. So I welded an extra 4" handle to it. That's the longest that'll fit and be able to swing without hitting the downpipe flange.

I've also made my own spring-compressors to work on the valves & head. Rather than generic tools that require a lot of adjustment, the 944/951 specific tool lets me take apart and assemble the valves on the head in less than 5-minutes.

BTW- with the advancement of nano-technology and micro-machines, I'm looking forward to the day when GearWrenches include their own built-in motors. You just hold the wrench on the bolt, push a button and it automatically spins it on/off..
I heard theyre gonna make a nano-chair, which allows a human to fully function without even moving.

Unfortunately, were already battling the obesity epidemic in the U.S..
Old 04-16-2005, 12:10 PM
yoyoguy2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i haven't seen anyone mention that the REVERSIBLE gear wrenches are the ones to get, they've got a 15 degree offset like a conventional combination wrench (but unlike the regular gear wrenches, which are flat so you can use the opposite side for reverse) so you can fit them in more places. i just did the above mentioned turbo to crossover pipe bolts yesterday, and the offset gear wrenches are invaluable. Several companies make them besides "GearWrench," including craftsman, and snap on makes them under their subsidiary company Blue Point. i also find one of the tools i use the most is a 10" extension bar. The general progression of repairs is my car is

"where the hell is it?"
"how the hell do i reach that?"
and finally
"who the hell put that there?"

If you're looking for a first set, all you really need are a full set of metric sockets and wrenches, screwdrivers, the allens and triple squares, a good breaker bar and a torque wrench. you can pick up the rest as you need it. I've gotten some good deals on brand name stuff (craftsman, mac) on ebay. Also, only craftsman "hand tools" meaning anything non motorized, with few moving parts (eg, not like staple guns, or drop lights)carry the lifetime warranty. craftsman is ok, but the warranty is all that justifies their price, buying craftsman that is not under the warranty is a waste of money for mediocre tools.

Quick Reply: Tools for a 944 Turbo