Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

luggage comp. light

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 03:25 PM
CHICKENHAWK
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default luggage comp. light

need a little help here with the wiring for the luggage comp. light: is there a switch for the hatch that is supposed to turn on the light when you open the rear hatch? The black wire is supposed to go to this switch or a ground. there is a brown wire with a yellow stripe that I believe goes to the door switches. heres my dilemma: both the black wire and the brown w/yellow wire are attached to the same terminal. and the light only works if one of the passenger comp. doors is open. if just the hatch is open then the light doesn't go on. what gives?
Old 04-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The light is controled by the hatch strut on the passenger side, the contact sits on a plastic insulator when the hatch is closed. I don't have the wiring diagrams handy but if it works when the doors open, it's probably wired right.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Chicken, i have the same problem with the light on my car. I never figuerd out what the problem was, but i did notice that one of the wires (i think on the passenger side of the car) was broken off at the contact point (on the hatch strut that Dave explained above).

Now that i think about it, i also have a problem with the door switch on the drivers side of the car. Considering if you have the dome light on the right switch setting, the light turns on when either door is opened. My drivers side switch is very tempermental, only working i would say 1 out of every 20 times the door is opened. Another thing that might be affecting the proper function of the light.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:44 PM
a.n.other
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My drivers side door switch and the passenger compartment light were both very temperamental - the trunk light was the only good one! They were both very easy to take apart and clean some of the 20year old corrosion off and it works good as new now!

As for the trunk switch, if the light comes on when you open the car doors the light wiring and switch is obviously good, so i'd look at the switch/wiring on the hatch strut.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:23 PM
CHICKENHAWK
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ok thanks, at least I have a starting point now. I was unaware of the hatch strut set up.

Quick Reply: luggage comp. light