Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel Timing Marks ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 06:50 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Flywheel Timing Marks ???

Well the horse still lives even after beaten a 1000 times. I know what I want to do but somewhere in this puzzle Im missing something and I have done these in the past. Ok replace timing belt. Located #1 Comp. stroke and found a line on the flywheel to include the cam mark lined up nicely. No big deal pull the belt put on the new belt. Snug it up for a couple of rotations and I guess maybe overly cautious I decided to really get a good look for the OT and the way things are set now the OT is Approx. at the 3 oclock position under the car like facing the Rt Frt tire nowhere near the upper inspection hole. But I do have a line that appears to be machined and the piston is up? Could there be 2 separate OT marks? Ill say this the mark I speak of is at the forward most edge on the flywheel and I painted it. When I rotate the motor it wont show up in the window. Once I jabbed a batch of paint further back towards and inside the bell housing I could see a hint of paint on rotation but real visible makings or a defined line to say thats it. On the other hand the line that I can see thru the rust film is further back on the outer flywheel ring and I scratch it clean the best I could form up top and when I roll the motor around I really cant see it.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:00 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasngo
Well the horse still lives even after beaten a 1000 times. I know what I want to do but somewhere in this puzzle Im missing something and I have done these in the past. Ok replace timing belt. Located #1 Comp. stroke and found a line on the flywheel to include the cam mark lined up nicely. No big deal pull the belt put on the new belt. Snug it up for a couple of rotations and I guess maybe overly cautious I decided to really get a good look for the OT and the way things are set now the OT is Approx. at the 3 oclock position under the car like facing the Rt Frt tire nowhere near the upper inspection hole. But I do have a line that appears to be machined and the piston is up? Could there be 2 separate OT marks? Ill say this the mark I speak of is at the forward most edge on the flywheel and I painted it. When I rotate the motor it wont show up in the window. Once I jabbed a batch of paint further back towards and inside the bell housing I could see a hint of paint on rotation but real visible makings or a defined line to say thats it. On the other hand the line that I can see thru the rust film is further back on the outer flywheel ring and I scratch it clean the best I could form up top and when I roll the motor around I really cant see it.
Check Clarks Garage website for clarification. The camshaft turns at 1/2 the rotation of the crankshaft.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:23 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 539 Posts

I forget what year you have so this may not be relevant to your model: I look at the flywheel to make sure things are at OT. I never really know where the line is supposed to be in the inspection window on top of the bellhousing, and it's hard to see anyway. I've read a ton of posts and it's just never been real clear to me. Instead, I use a little notch in the flywheel that lines up in the middle of the window on the bottom of the bellhousing. From what I've read, that's a more accurate way to set the engine anyway.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
tempest411 (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 01:40 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
I forget what year you have so this may not be relevant to your model: I look at the flywheel to make sure things are at OT. I never really know where the line is supposed to be in the inspection window on top of the bellhousing, and it's hard to see anyway. I've read a ton of posts and it's just never been real clear to me. Instead, I use a little notch in the flywheel that lines up in the middle of the window on the bottom of the bellhousing. From what I've read, that's a more accurate way to set the engine anyway.

Good luck
When I tried to use the viewport at the top I couldn't see a thing thanks to all the rusty crustiness. The window at the bottom made seeing the marking very easy. NOTE: to see the mark from below the sheet metal guard that bolts to the bell housing must be removed, and it is not the same mark you'd be looking for above. It will not say 'OT', but rather you'll just see a machined notch.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:35 AM
Gasngo
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Well you just never know with beer drinking Germans. 2 OT marks and no notch. Like mentioned above I did a lot of reading on this. I have done quite a few in the past but being rusty myself I just wanted to make sure I was doing things right. The image of the upper window is not so good but the line and OT are there. I ended up putting some sand paper folded and taped to a long flat blade screw driver and worked it back and forth to clear it up. Once set I found another OT mark mid way down on the drivers side flywheel. The marks are so close to the forward edge [or block side ] that they are not visible when you rotate the motor. With it set at TDC I see no notch. I rotated that flywheel quite a few times to verify. I resized the pics so a little off bit I reset the second OT mark its there just faint.

Last edited by Gasngo; 07-05-2022 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Flywheel Timing Marks ???