Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: a moment of silence.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Tom R.
I have to differ with you. I spoke to the product manager who told me the bean counters did it.
He's lying.

Think about it for a second. You run a company. Who do you want to decide upon content? Accountants or product managers?

Trust me, I spent the early part of my career as a cost accountant and it's my specialty. Accountants don't get any say in final content or production process. Product managers do.

They blame the accountants because they don't like the answers.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:14 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by bader$
Have you driven a Z06 corvette. Runs with the best of them in every way for 1/3rd the price of a 996tt
I have spent alot of time driving Z06's and it is one of my favorite cars and agree it's quite a value for the money.
But it has the worst seats! I hope they so better with the C6 interior.

A few other GM cars that impressed me, the Caddy XLR and CTS-V (As well as the 3.6 CTS)

That CTS-V is pretty damn awesome!
Old 04-29-2004, 02:17 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't buy another 81 gm either LOL
Old 04-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

I couldn't agree more. Z06's can stand proud. They are a hell of a car and a hell of a value.

So...GM (American companies) CAN produce some awesome cars. It just seems like the beauracracy of those large companies...or something makes them trip over their own feet most times. The Z06 and the Viper (to a lesser degree in my opinion) are some exceptions.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:25 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

I kinda like Grand Am's...pretty nice little sedan...The new Caddy's aren't to bad...vette's are just....*drool*.....nice..........SSR...again...major droolage...there are a few cars there that are nice...
Old 04-29-2004, 02:34 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Dan in Pasadena
Ahem......let's see if we can keep the ethnic slurs off the board, huh?
Japs, Krauts, Japs, Krauts....dude lighten up a little, i don't think there was any "ethnic slur" meant....Japs could be considered short for people from JAPAN. Take a vacation and blow off some steam, you are a bit high strung if you get your panties in a bunch over something like that.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:39 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

I don't consider that a racial slur at all...japs is just short for japanese...if this is a racial slur, then sayign black people is racial too...
Old 04-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Karl2bdc
Japs, Krauts, Japs, Krauts....dude lighten up a little, i don't think there was any "ethnic slur" meant....Japs could be considered short for people from JAPAN. Take a vacation and blow off some steam, you are a bit high strung if you get your panties in a bunch over something like that.
Actually, I can assure you that people of Japanese descent consider "Japs" an ethnic slur. I have several good friends of Japanese descent who are not over sensitive types who really really don't like the expression "Japs." While it seems innocuous enough to most of us, I think the "slur" is a result of attitudes that developed during WWII that made it a slur. That and the fact that most of Japanese descent that I know of, especially those whose family were Americans during WWII would just as soon distance themselves from WWII Japan.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by bloodraven
I don't consider that a racial slur at all...japs is just short for japanese...if this is a racial slur, then sayign black people is racial too...
No, but calling a black person a Schwartze (German for black) is considered a slur is some areas/contexts.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:50 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

I'll miss Olds. My first car was one, I still have it with plans of fixing it up sooner or later.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I for one won't miss Olds. With the exception of the Corvette, GM doesn't make anything that appeals to me.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My father's uncle still has a '63 Oldsmobile 98 convertible that he bought new. Was stored for around 8 years without starting because he had trouble getting parts to the Canary Islands, where he lives.

I sent him some basic stuff he asked for (spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc.) and when they replaced them, the car started right up. They don't make cars like that anymore.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:23 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally posted by Geo
He's lying.

Think about it for a second. You run a company. Who do you want to decide upon content? Accountants or product managers?

Trust me, I spent the early part of my career as a cost accountant and it's my specialty. Accountants don't get any say in final content or production process. Product managers do.

They blame the accountants because they don't like the answers.
Not correct, but i am not going to get into it with you. take a look at an alero's dash. notice the little indentation around the gages. an indentation that is the perfect size for a chrome ring.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:28 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

George is EXACTLY correct. "Japs" IS a slur whether you know it or not. Many on the board aren't of an age to relate to it, but it is.
If you tolerate the casual use of language you are condoning a relaxed attitude about insensitivity. It's like saying you struck a good bargain with someone in a deal and saying your"Jewed" him down. Unacceptable.

Most people would say that objecting to that expression is being overly concernd with being "politically correct" too. It isn't politically correct, it's just "correct" to refer to Japanses cars as Japanese cars.

Sorry that some find it objectionable that someone actually says out loud (writes?!) "you shouldn't use that expression" - but it IS unacceptable. By the way, since I raised the objection? I am not of Asian descent. I am of Mexican descent...'ya know? What you're not allowed to say? I'm supposed to be "hispanic, Latino", etc.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Regarding the accounting, you're both right but George is correct in that accountants don't have the decision making power to change a production line. The decision is made by management.

They can, however, influence management's decision since the nature of managerial accounting is to best portray the finanancial position of a business, so that business can be conducted most effectively depending on the objectives set by the management.

At least that's what I learned in B school and see daily in the corporate world, FWIW.

Quick Reply: OT: a moment of silence.