Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New SFR 2.5" sound clip!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by URIN 2ND
Yeah, I was under the impression the stock piping on ALL models was appx 2.25". If this is true, then the 16V and Turbo would benefit greatly from a more free flowing exhaust than one designed for the 8V!

Can anyone verify here?
The OD on the stock exhaust (for an 8v NA) is actually closer to 2 1/8. It may vary a little as it gets closer to the muffler, but it doesn't go over 2 1/4. Also, the wall thickness on the stock exhaust is much, MUCH thicker than the tubing used on the SFR exhaust (hence the weight savings). That thickness obviously chokes down the ID of the exhaust on the stock system.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Blue at the fest we can get plenty of action video of that pretty car!
Old 05-01-2004, 01:19 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do i have to RSVP for the fest? I really want to come, but things ar every uncertain with my schedule? I might try for a last minute gettaway.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:58 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Blue S2
Do i have to RSVP for the fest? I really want to come, but things ar every uncertain with my schedule? I might try for a last minute gettaway.
No it is not required. I belive that Dan P is the one to talk to about that I belive there are 3 sections..

1. Yes I am coming
2. Maybe but leaning to the Yes!
3. Maybe but Right now its a No
Old 05-01-2004, 07:02 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told, a long time ago, that the stock inner diamter was a little under 2.25", but, I've always called it 2.25" anyway- I'm referring to the turbos though, which MAY be a hair larger than NA's(?)- I had a Bursch 2.5" w/stock muffler & it didn't help power at all really- it DID make it MUCH louder though- I had a resonator welded in place- brought the noise back ALMOST to stock levels... not quite... I just replaced the stock muffler w/an SFR 3" & definately noticed some extra HP - it's too loud for me though, since mine's an everyday driver & ONLY car- I'm trying to get someone to weld a 12" Borla XR1 SS OVAL (3" diam) into the diagonal section to help quieten it, BUT, it LOOKS like it might not clear the edge of the tranny- it's REALLY close- not sure if it would hurt for it to actually rest AGAINST it(???). Anyway, I've GOT to do something- my mech checked the noise the other day & said it was louder than MOST of the cars he's checked- it was just over 90 db from 10ft back(!). I'm not upset though, b/c, Tim was always honest w/me about how loud it would be- the price (w/RL group-buy discount) was just too good to pass up... Tim was great to deal w/& the exhaust is excellent & I had NO fitment issues, WHATSOEVER, & I can't say that about many other things I've bought for this car...

SFR full catback- 17.5lbs
-tubing- 6.5lbs
-muffler w/tip- 11lbs
I'm going to weigh my muffler when I get it back- it's still at my mech's- it's at least 10lbs more than the SFR though- AT LEAST! The Bursch also saved ~10lbs- of course, w/extra resonator (~2lbs) & Borla XR1 (~6.5lbs), I'll be putting SOME of it back, BUT, combining the gains w/streetable noise levels will make it well worth it, IF I can get that Borla on there- it's not CRAZY loud or anything- nothing like many ricers, etc. BUT, it's too loud to really be able to listen to the stereo, etc, when cruising above ~80mph or so- I hit 107db at ~5800rpm the other day & that's a bit much- not sure how well the thing was calibrated- whatever those things are called(?)- little hand-held things- I used to know, but... (?)

....anyway...for what it's worth...

Oh yeah- does anyone know about my muffler/transaxle question?

Quick Reply: New SFR 2.5" sound clip!!!