Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad vibration damper pads? Necessary? Replaceable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 11:47 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Brake pad vibration damper pads? Necessary? Replaceable?

My car has had these pads on the back of the brake pads since I owned the car. As the picture shows, they are in pretty poor condition - I have reused them once. I have a new set of MetalMaster pads ready for installation. They did not come with new backing pads. I have had no prior problems with brake squeal. I have access to high temperature caliper grease for installation.

Clarks-garage states:

"Many of the replacement brake pads are now provided with vibration damper backing plates. If they are provided, I recommend using them on any 944. However, when asbestos-free pads are used on models with fixed calipers (i.e. one piece calipers), the vibration dampers MUST be used. If vibrations dampers are not provided, double-sided adhesive tape may be used instead. Porsche recommends using Scotch-3M No. 9485 (38 mm wide). "

Question:

1. These are anti-squeal plates, right? Can I re-use them again?

2. Are these pads necessary, it I use a good brake anti-squeal paste on the back of the pads before installation?

3. Where can I purchase a replacement set of these?

4. How does the double-sided tape compare to these metal backing pads?

5. How have other people done with using MetalMasters with no backing pads?

I read this information here:

http://www.autoswalk.com/squealbrakho.html

"One option to help reduce the brake pad symphony is to install brake pad vibration damper pads. The vibration dampers that several suppliers sell are a self-stick fiber material that adheres to the back of the brake pad backing plate. Some models are manufactured with a mushroom shaped button spring in the center. The button spring fits tightly into the piston and the fiber disk adheres to the backing plate of the pad. The theory is that the fiber disk will help cushion (i.e., soften) the vibration of the brake pad. The second part of the theory is the mushroom button will help pull the pad away from the rotor when the piston retracts after the brake is released. This resulting extra clearance will reduce/eliminate squeal. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

A second option is to coat the back of the brake pads with a quality anti-squeal compound. Wurth make a couple of nice ones. Wurth Anti-Squeal Spray is an aerosol spray that puts a thick heat-resistant polymer adhesive on the back of the pad to help cushion the pad from the caliper pistons and help the pad retract with the piston. A second option is Wurth DBQ -2200 that comes in a can with a top that looks like a liquid shoe polish bottle. This is applied to the back of the brake pad like a shoe polish. I have found that a combination of the vibration dampers and a coating of one of the brake anti-squeal compounds usually reduces low speed squeal to a tolerable level. (At least parents stop yanking their children back from the curb.)

A third solution is to coat the area of the pad backing plate that contacts the caliper piston with a THIN coating of high temperature anti-seize. You do not have to coat the entire backing plate, only the area that is in contact with the piston. The key words are THIN and HIGH temperature. You do not want anti-seize to run onto the front of the pads or the rotor. This is somewhat like waxing your brake pads. I use Wurth CU1100 that resists temperatures up to 2000 degrees and apply small circles to the piston contact area. This is not as effective as the above, but allows for quick changing of the brake pads."

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2004, 11:53 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use anti-sieze on hawk fronts and metalmaster backs. No squeal that I can tell.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:21 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Not necessary, follow any of the steps you posted and you'll be fine, or, they really don't look that bad, all they are is stamped shim stock, spray them with vibration damper and put them back on.

Sam

Quick Reply: Brake pad vibration damper pads? Necessary? Replaceable?