Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Customized facory defaults

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022 | 03:56 PM
88Silver924S
Instructor

Default Customized facory defaults

The chat on the recent posting "88 924S melts air blower cover" jogged my memory (and thank you ORIG 944). I went to my notes from October 1989 when I made some alterations to my new car. For your entertainment here are some of the changes I made back then:

1) Replaced high beam indicator light bulb (OEM = 1.2 watt 12v) with a Radio Shack 0.062 amp bulb. During country drives I used to turn the instrument lights down low but the high beam indicator was always too bright and distracting. The lower amp/watt bulb considerably dimmed the high beam indicator. Much easier on the eyes.

2) Pulled power window relay located on the drivers side clipped just inside the center console. Installed jumper wire between #30 and #87 on the plug to make power windows operate independent of the ignition key; wrap well with electricians tape. Made a note of how to reverse this and put the note and the relay in a zip lock bag in the "saddle bag" rear storage. Now the windows operate with or without the ignition on.

3) Wired radio to be independent of the ignition. Now I can sit in the car and listen to the radio and raise and lower the windows without the ignition being on. Much better.

4) Installed mini rocker switch in unused "dummy" slot on the center console just in front of the ash tray. Wired it to "0" setting on the fan such that the fan which is always on when the ignition is on, is switched by the mini-rocker switch such that it can be turned on or off. To return to factory "always on with ignition on" status reconnect brown wire with blue stripe to itself eliminating/bypassing the switch, or just leave the switch in the on position. Just for safety I put several strips of electricians tape on the metal side of the ash tray facing the console switches.

5) Pull seat belt "relay-like" buzzer. Bag it in a zip lock with a note of how to put it back; put it in the "saddle bag" rear storage. Now the car doesn't scream at me about my seat belt. I always wear my belt; I just don't like the squawker.

Test drive from Austin to Lost Maples state park and back with a beer and BBQ stop in Luckenbach Texas. No problems.
Old 04-27-2022 | 12:43 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

924 hvac fan is always on? No zero on the dial? Interesting

Quick Reply: Customized facory defaults