Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Motor Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004 | 06:53 AM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Good to see it's all working out Ice. All the more reason to do all the work yourself. That way you know it's right, especially when your spending good money on parts and it's all coming out of your pocket. AND, you don't wan't to have to do it AGAIN! ie. Clutch job.
Bill
Old 04-26-2004 | 06:00 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Got the sucker helicoiled and better than new! Tommorow back in the car and I can button her back up.

I don't know how these aluminum threads against a steel bolt take the wear and tear of belt changes and retensioning. In my case they didn't. One retension after car was new, then me with a belt job and retension. So three shots and the aluminum threads were totally gone. Actually they were probably gone on the new car retension job.

So if anyone is doing belts and have the later spring tension gizmo, you can pull that off without pulling the forward pulleys and put in some helicoils. You don't need to pull the alignment bushing, just go at it from the rear end - the thread is still the same. I was sort of a dope and figured it would be reversed until I started to think about it. Reverse side is good and works.

Well, I have an 8mm tap and screw in tool. You just buy the 8 mm helicoils for 10 to 50 cents each and go for it. I'll just send the tools around to whomever wants for the shipping, plus a buck to recover purchase cost.

I bet everyone with a spring cam tensioner has this problem.

Quick Reply: Another Motor Problem!