Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch master and slave

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004 | 10:35 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

Default Clutch master and slave

I finally have time to do the job and have gotten really tired of driving the beater 92 Spirit. But before I do it is there anything special about the procedure? It looks to be a very simple thing to do and should take me no more than 2-3 hours to do. I bought the master and slave cylinder so I'm expecting that's all I need besides the basic hand tools to do it. I just want to make sure before I go disassembling the car and not being able to finish.
Old 04-23-2004 | 11:00 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do a quick search--this topic was discussed alot recently--Pete944 has a very nice procedure written up, I used it when I did it last weekend--you should get a pressure bleeder to make your life simple, and the blue hose that runs from the reservoir to the master(available from Paragon)--also a universal extension--or the master will be a pain.

Things to look out for--Starter bolts being seized up--PB and a cheater bar.
The nipple on the fluid reservoir(I used a razor to cut off the old hose) If you install a new hose, leave it in the sun so it will be pliable--use dishsoap to lube the nipples(sounds like ****) getting that hose on was a bitch.

Other than that--securing it on jackstands(or ramps) cause you will be torquing on that starter--and disconnect the battery first.
Old 04-23-2004 | 12:47 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Oh god...don't remind me that I still have to do that and still don't know what the hell a universal extension is...
Old 04-23-2004 | 01:31 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

Damn, that master cylinder was a bitch to get too, it took me like an hour just to get that fu*ker off..15 minutes to put the new one on. I have to rest before I do the slave. Hopefully it's more accessible than the master cylinder.

I have a universal joint I think, one of those things that go on the end of extension or ratchet and can bend, right? I still can't figure out how to use it, but I have one for 1/4" drive.
Old 04-23-2004 | 02:17 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

I believe the slave will be easier. If its like a 968 it is on the outside of the bellhousing. Two bolts to remove the starter for working room, you will want something to set the starter on to keep it from hanging from its wires. Then two bolts to remove the slave cylinder. Disconnect the slave cylunder from the line, connect the new one then put it all back together.

But how do you plan to bleed the system? A Motive Power Bleeder will make it a quick easy job. If not stepping on the clutch is no fun! Perhaps you could pick one up or maybe even find a loaner before bleeding.
Old 04-23-2004 | 02:20 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

How'd you get the master off without the universal--just curious? I hope you re-atatched the clutch pedal before tightening up the master. can be doen the other way, but is a little ahrder.

raven,
yes that is what a universal is, you can buy them for about 2-4 bucks just about anywhere--just get one that fits your drive socket.

You could get everything swapped out this Saturday--I had never done this job before, and I had it done in a day.(that inlcudes some stubborn bolts and other pieces.)
Old 04-23-2004 | 02:36 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

I used a long 13mm (or was it 12) wrench to get the left side nut off and just a regular ratchet with a small extension and socket to take the right one off. I made it a little harder on myself and connected the pedal afterwards but it wasn't too much trouble.

After I finish my lunch I'll do the slave, it looks alot easier to get to compared to the master cylinder, i wouldn't expect it to take me more than and hour to do.

Unfortunately, I have to bleed it the old-fashioned 2 person way. If I'm lucky maybe my sister will come home with the beater and I can go to home depot or something and make my own or buy one from the auto stores.

I'm getting really anxious now, it's been about 2 1/2 months since i've driven the 944, and when I was driving it I had ****ty clutch pressure.
Old 04-23-2004 | 02:43 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

I am sure it will be a much more enjoyable drive with the new master and slave. The motive power bleeder is a very good $45 investment. It makes the bleeding an easy one person job. While you are at it you might as well change the fluid. Its easy if you get fluid that is a different color than what is currently in there. Just bleed the clutch and all the calipers until the new color comes out.
Old 04-23-2004 | 02:52 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by BruceWard
I am sure it will be a much more enjoyable drive with the new master and slave. The motive power bleeder is a very good $45 investment. It makes the bleeding an easy one person job. While you are at it you might as well change the fluid. Its easy if you get fluid that is a different color than what is currently in there. Just bleed the clutch and all the calipers until the new color comes out.
exactly what I did--out with the crappy brown fluid, in with the new Super Blue.

Before doing the slave--disconnect the battery!!
Old 04-23-2004 | 04:30 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

Just finished the slave, all I gotta do now is bleed. I do have ATE Super blue waiting to be used so now is as good of a time as any. Hell I'm sure the brakes could probably use some bleeding as well.

I didn't even bother disconnecting the battery when I did the slave. I'm glad I was careful now that I think about it, could have been a disaster.
Old 04-23-2004 | 05:28 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

Looks like I have bigger problems, for some reason I'm not getting and fluid through the master or slave cylinders. Any ideas?
Old 04-23-2004 | 07:40 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

Wow, I'm a jackass, i wasn't opening the slave bleeder valve all the way..not even close. Now my assistant is gone and I have to wait till later (try and do it in the dark?) or tommorow (too damn long).

Oh well at least I can admit to my ignorance.

Quick Reply: Clutch master and slave