Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmm where does this go? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Zackb911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm where does this go? Pics

Ok I HAD a good running 86 951 that I bought It ran fine 3 weeks ago. I decided to do some of the maintanence that had been neglected. I did the following:

Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Wires
Lindsey vaccum kit including eliminating CV (reliaboost) and the big hoses underneath to the updated ones
Fuel filter
Iceshark ground kit
Konis all around weltmeister springs.
Bled clutch (removed starter)

Heres the symptoms:
Now somewhere along the way after doing everything it wont start I tried a new DME relay and no luck. It would turn normal but not start. (I've been doing this alone so havent had someone to help me test spark, but plugs were dry (no fuel?)) I tried jumping 30 to 87b on the relay and didnt hear anything, but taking the plug off the end of the rail there was fuel in there. The other odd thing is the battery is generic but fairly new and with it sitting not connected for 3 weeks it acts like its dead turn the key and basicly nothing but If I was jumping it it would turn normal but not fire. I sanded down the ground undid them and put them back on and still the same symptoms. I have been using the search and plan to do some more diagnosing but I found these 2 wires that are not connected to anything. 1 is what looks like a ground wire or aomething that goes into the old nest of wires behind the engine on top of the bellhousing but I dont know what it is or where it should get screwed onto. The other looks like some kind of odd sensor that has a black metal thing inset on the top that can spin, it looks like it goes under the manifold somewhere?

Before I go looking and testing everything else anyone know what these are or where they go?

And if anyone around weymouth mass wants free beer in exchange for your advice feel free to come over!

Thanks
Zack
Old 04-22-2004, 10:08 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Numero uno... Ground Cable.... It goes to the head under that water flange featured in the second pic...

Numero dos... Looks like your diagnostic reference connecter. It doesn't go to anything, but connects to the engine lifting ring near the rear of the head on the exhaust side.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:01 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

I found a mess of brown wires at the back of my 83NA engine during a recent clutch job. One of these has a ring connector like the one in your first picture. Mine is also oxidized and apparently has not been connected to anything in several years. I'm not sure what water flange cpt_koolbeenz is talking about (the one with the hose clamp?), but I can tell you that my 83NA runs fine without this connected.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:39 PM
helzerr
Advanced

Brown wire on European automobile almost 100% means ground.

Try a Volt meter between the wire in question and known-good ground and see if there is a circuit trying to find ground through that wire; if there is you'll read voltage on the meter.

Quick Reply: Hmm where does this go? Pics