Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest cat possible!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 05:10 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Boricua944, while emissions tests may not be required in your county or state, you are still required to have a functioning Catalyst. In some cases, Police will do a visual inspection to check for it and write you up. Laws vary, but if you don't fight it and have a test done thereafter you are looking at a hefty fine.

I've "heard" of this trick that is effective when trying to make a cat bypass test pipe (only for "testing"). You find the next size smaller pipe to run directly through the catalyst, then weld in place. Visually, there is no difference. Most 944's would pass smog tests without the cat if in good running order.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:12 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Skip

I've "heard" of this trick that is effective when trying to make a cat bypass test pipe (only for "testing"). You find the next size smaller pipe to run directly through the catalyst, then weld in place. Visually, there is no difference. Most 944's would pass smog tests without the cat if in good running order.
I, too, have "heard" of this trick. I have "heard" that this even passes the Ohio e-check visual and sniff tests.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:07 PM
schlag
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by FormulaOne10
I screwed my original post up. I actually ordered my cat from Jeg's and it was a Dynomax. I mixed that up with a muffler I ordered from Summit. Also, I believe that Magnaflow does make high flow cats because I have seen them advertised (but I can't remember where). I was pleased with the dynomax, but it does make the car a good deal louder.
Louder... hmmmm....

What one did you get? 2.25", three-way, how long? with or without AIR inlet .. ?
Old 04-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheapest cat possible - one of the engineers I work with...
Old 04-22-2004, 12:20 AM
schlag
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Skip
Catco cat is about the cheapest you'll find - it's what most muffler shops use as replacement units. The 944 na tubing is 2.25", and you'll want the smallest unit you can find because of the tight space (OE unit is long and round - hard to find in aftermarket.)

If you're interested in a Bosal, we can get them for ~$130. OE runs ~$475. Both require welding.
The Bosal is "stock-style replacement" right? The Dynomax idea scares me a little because I dont want too obnoxious a sound. . .

Also, as a side note Skip, what do you think of the full Bosal cat-back that you guys sell? Does that retain the same sound as stock? How does the tip on it look?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by schlag
Louder... hmmmm....

What one did you get? 2.25", three-way, how long? with or without AIR inlet .. ?
IIRC My dynomax is the 2.25", three-way, and they only come in one length. Looks to be $59 in the current Jeg's catalog. It's a lot shorter than the stock cat (about the same diameter) and a lot lighter. The $50 I paid for the install included an extra piece of pipe to make up for the difference in length. No issue getting it installed other than getting a shop that woukld let me bring in the part, the old one had cracked at the inlet.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Songzzz
Burning Brakes

its worth a try.....
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2004, 12:37 AM
schlag
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Dave
IIRC My dynomax is the 2.25", three-way, and they only come in one length. Looks to be $59 in the current Jeg's catalog. It's a lot shorter than the stock cat (about the same diameter) and a lot lighter. The $50 I paid for the install included an extra piece of pipe to make up for the difference in length. No issue getting it installed other than getting a shop that woukld let me bring in the part, the old one had cracked at the inlet.
So yours (the one for our cars) is the one "with out" AIR inlet, which lists for $59?

And do you think this made the car too loud, or no?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:50 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by schlag
So yours (the one for our cars) is the one "with out" AIR inlet, which lists for $59?

And do you think this made the car too loud, or no?
I'm Pretty sure that's the same part number but I don't have the invoice handy to check. No air inlet. Not a big change in sound (through the stock muffler) just a hair louder and a little deeper.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:19 AM
FormulaOne10
Pro

The one I bought was the 2.5" 2-way for 52.99. The stock cat does have a resonator on it so its removal will inherently increase exhaust noise. However, I had a hooker aerochamber muffler installed when I added my high flow cat so a using stock one could make the addition of the cat quieter.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:53 AM
schlag
Burning Brakes

Cool, the three-way no inlet (Which includes NOx, required for NJ) looks like the right bet. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for all the info.

Quick Reply: Cheapest cat possible!