Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ding dong relay and other little stuff

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 02:10 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ding dong relay and other little stuff

Anybody know what / where the ding-dong relay is / goes? I know this is kind of minor, but there's no buzzer when you put the key in, no "ding dong" with the door open and no red "fasten seat belt" warning light like the manual says there's supposed to be. I checked the manual and there's no relay specifically listed in the diagram-o-relays for controlling these items, although other posts on related subjects seem to indicate there is a relay with a piezo element on it located somewhere. Anyone know where this is or the part #? Also, the manual says that it's not supposed to let you lock yourself out of the car; you're supposed to have to use the key to lock the driver's door from the outside, but I can lock my door and then shut it (haven't yet locked the keys in the car, thankfully).
Old 04-21-2004, 02:15 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

It is a relay. In fact, the speaker is actually built into the relay. Open your fuse box and take a look at one of the relays closest to the windshield. It's the one with the speaker on it.

Ironically, I was just talking to Jason at Paragon Products about this. He got a price for me and it's $125 from Porsche!! He recommend that I call George B. at www.944ecology.com which is what I'll do (I've purchased stuff from George and he's got it all). I'm sure he'll have what you need.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 04-21-2004, 02:19 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Hmmm. . . I swear I looked at all the ones under there and didn't see one that looked like that. Are you sure it's the same for an early car? I'll double-check anyway though. . .

$125!?!? Yikes. All that just to be annoyed!!! I'll check with George like you recommend. Another weird thing I've noticed is that there's no wiring going to the driver's side seat belt receptacle, like one would think there should be if there's a signal being sent to the "fasten seat belt" light to turn it off when you buckle up. The Haynes wiring diagram seems to confirm this. Any idea why mine wouldn't have one or if it should or where it might have gone?
Old 04-21-2004, 05:37 AM
glen2002
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche o phile, maybe check your vin to see if you have a USA car, maybe yours is european where the law doesn't require the car to go "ding-dong" when the door is open.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

theres a law that says the car has to make that noise?
Old 04-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

OK, I'll check that too. . . thanks for the tips so far. I know it isn't a big deal, but I get kind of obsessive about little stuff like this. If it's supposed to be there and isn't, it's gonna bug me. At the very least if it IS a relay that someone removed at one point in the past, I'd rather know about it because that speaks to the character of my P.O.s (they're willing to modify stuff) and means I need to be more thorough as I go through the car to look for non-original stuff.

Quick Reply: Ding dong relay and other little stuff