Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just found out I'm getting laid off

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 09:49 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

hitbyastick

I too am working full time as an anaylst and studying. I am doing my thesis though so there are no classes. But bank on missed drinking opportunities for a while if you want your studies not to take twice as long as you would like. I would not study only either, you get left behind and thought of as too hyper theoritical if you dont have a decent amount of "real world" experience. I hate that term, made up by people that treat university education like a black box.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:30 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crazy! i am talking to lockheed as well for an engineering job. one of my professors used to work in the dallas facility, and quit to teach. now he is resigning from the school, and going back to dallas. he hooked me up with all his references there, and i got to meet with one of the higher up guys. sounds very interesting, but i'm still a little hung up on working for lockheed (it's the whole anti-war mindset then going to work for a defense contractor. oh well, i love robotics and control systems, and there are few if any jobs other then defense in that area).

maybe one day we will be working together=)
Old 04-20-2004, 11:56 PM
jenket944
Pro

I'm currently going to school at Univ. of Central Florida, here in O-town. At least it's on the other side of town from Disney. Thank God. Huge campus...lots of hot bods. LOL. I think I'll get over this job quick.

I realized a while ago that I simply don't fit into the culture here at work. I know I'm better off somewhere else so I'm not really worried about the long-term. Just gotta get myself over this hump and I'll be ok. Shouldn't have a problem finding a new job once I have the thesis lab work finished. I should be done with that in 2 months, so I could realistically write the thesis anywhere at that point. So that's my goal - to finish the lab work fairly quickly.

Kevin,
You talking to Lockheed Martin Missiles & Fire Control? That's who I work for now, the Dallas site is the 'sister' site to Orlando. Then again the company pres is in Dallas, so I've always considered Dallas the 'mothersite'. PM if you want the low down on this place, because both sites are integrated and run things pretty much the same. They've got an asinine policy that each year, 10% of the employees don't get a raise. Doesn't say who it has to be, whether it's the bottom 10 or just random, but the policy is a huge sore spot with the employees. It bit me last year and it would've bit me this year too if I stuck around. Then again, it's probably the worst thing about this place, so if you can handle that you can handle the other stuff. Anti-war, eh? People here are majorly patriotic - there's a few that are against the war, but still support the troops. You'd probably be fine, just gotta realize that the goal of everyone here is to develop products that give the warfighter an edge and help return them home. It's nice to hear a counter argument every now and then - I worry about this place developing blind loyalty sometimes.

Anywho, I know a few people at the Dallas site, so let me know if you ever get in there.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:00 AM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

You guys build us some pretty nifty stuff, but sometimes you really should get some maintainers into the design process........
Old 04-21-2004, 12:07 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

PreryDog-

You story is a carbon copy of what mine was. Only difference was my employer just paid me. I did the work-to-school-to-work-to-home thing for 5.5yrs. I did end up with $25,000 in student loans when I was done but I didnt earn almost $75,000 while I was in college otherwise my loans would have been $50,000.

I hear you on the no-college-experience. I never took a day off. Ever. Not one spring break, not one Easter weekend, or MLK Day, or extended Thanksgiving holiday, or Christmas break, or a single day in the summer, or anything. If I didnt have school that day it was expected I would be at work 8-10hrs.

Fecking hated it. Wouldnt do it over again either. But if I can do that **** I can do anything and it taught me more about the real world and not pissing away 4yrs on dads money goofing off.

I dunno why I mentioned any of this. Continue.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:17 AM
911RHAP
3rd Gear

This is such a cool thread.

I left a pretty good job last September on Cape Cod, MA. I did the Neil Young thing;

Thought I'd pack it in (sold my house)
Bought a pickup (Actually already had one)
Drove it down to LA.... (5 weeks, 7000 miles, wicked)

LA sucks for IT work. ONE interview in 3 months. 2-300 resumes for even crap jobs. Craiglist tech jobs offering $8/hour for MCSE REQUIRED and all 1099 MUST have your own transport, no mileage paid!

So I moved to Portland, OR, less sun but more work interest. Actually a really neat town. Love it!

So, to reward myself I am getting into the 944 thing. It was going to be a 911 Carrera but the more I read the more I found it incompatible with my engineering sense. Front engine+rear transaxle=perfection (I am also an ex-Alfa GTV6 owner).

So, hang in there and if anyone knows about engine/transaxle swap options I am interested. i.e. 968 in a 944S/S2? Where can I find gear ratio info etc.?

Was I sympathetic enough?

Jef Fowler
94 Dodge Dakota that took me there and back.
www.lunadance.com
Old 04-21-2004, 12:28 AM
911RHAP
3rd Gear

UDPride; Great rear quarter photo, almost make me want a 911 again.

But I gotta say; red?
Old 04-21-2004, 12:53 AM
911RHAP
3rd Gear

UDPride; Great rear quarter photo, almost make me want a 911 again.

But I gotta say; red?
Old 04-21-2004, 01:03 AM
Songzzz
Burning Brakes

jenket944, perhaps you can come to taiwan, I am sure you can find a decent job here in 3 days (I did!). Bring your car along, we need more 944s here.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:36 AM
jenket944
Pro

UDPride
I hear you on the no-college-experience. I never took a day off. Ever. Not one spring break, not one Easter weekend, or MLK Day, or extended Thanksgiving holiday, or Christmas break, or a single day in the summer, or anything. If I didnt have school that day it was expected I would be at work 8-10hrs.
Amen, brother. Money is nice, but damn I've put so much stuff off while I've done this work full-time/grad school thing. I can't remember how many times I've said "I'll have to do that when I finish school". Well, won't be saying that for too much longer. Guess it's one of those things that you inflict upon yourself to prove to yourself that you actually can do it. Can't wait to get started on all the things I've been putting off.

Jef, you were plenty sympathetic. Not really looking for sympathy, just figured I'd tell my tale and try to lift my spirits in the process.

Man, when I think back to merely 4 years ago when I graduated from undergrad....I never thought I'd be in this position and have had all the stuff that's happened to me. I was married when I graduated and took the job here in Orlando. Was invited into something called the Engineering Leadership Development Program at work, modeled off GE's Edison Engineering Program. Sounded like a neat program - involved regular job rotations, leadership conferences at corporate hq, and technical seminars. We had to work on a technical MS degree as part of the program requirements. A big bonus was rubbing elbows with upper management. 7 months later my wife moved out and I filed for divorce. She couldn't handle me having close friendships with female co-workers whom I was taking classes with at UCF . Nevermind that 1 of them was married and I wasn't interested in the other....at least not while I was married. We're dating now but that's another story. I think the ex thought I was cheating on her with the single coworker, but she never said it. I married the wrong person anyway, so no loss there. I figured out that the ELDP thing wasn't all it was cooked up to be. Program lead just wanted to burn us out for three years and see who survived...screw that crap. I had extra classes to take since I was switching from a BS in mechanical to a MS in aerospace. Program lead wouldn't cut me any slack and I said something had to give and it wasn't going to be school. He still refused so I said adios...I wasn't the only one to drop out, though. The ones who stayed were too busy trying to impress him. Funny thing is now he's in the doghouse for his bulldozer management style and I found out after I got out that the general population considers anyone in the program to be brown-nosers who are too busy trying to climb the ladder, so to speak.

Jeez, I'm rambling here....sorry, just looking back over my short career. Long story short...I've been trying to get propulsion work here for 2.5 years and I've been passed up for several openings despite the fact that I was more qualified. Some of it was political, the others...I'm not sure. Bottom line is that it was time to go, I just ran out of time before I could finish my thesis. Would prefer to leave under my own terms, but at least this way I get a severance. I've considered going back into academia but I don't think I have the energy to work on a doctorate without some source of income.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:43 PM
jenket944
Pro

Default UPDATE - Just found out I'm getting laid off

Thank you all for your encouragement and well-wishes. Things are, in fact, looking better on the job search front. I came in contact with the lead technical writer on the SRB program at United Space Alliance (the firm that operates the space shuttle fleet). I've been trying to get an interview with that place for a long time, so I'm thrilled about the possibility of getting in there. It's funny how it happened, too.

I was looking for the Columbia Accident Investigation Board report that had was being sold with a CD-ROM in some local bookstores, but couldn't find any. So I went searching on ebay. I found most of the auctions were for CD-Rs that people had burned the downloadable .pdf report onto. I came across an auction that was for the book itself, but make no mention of the CD-ROM. I emailed the seller and asked him if it came with the CD. He said he had no idea about a CD, his was a copy of the actual released report. Cool, eh? He also mentioned that he worked at KSC, so I bit and asked him if he knew of any job openings out there. This is when he revealed that he works at USA. He says they're getting ready to hire 140 engineers on the SRB program alone to gear up for Return To Flight.
I was stoked - couldn't believe that I may have stumbled onto the connection I needed to find my dream job - working in the space industry.

He has given my resume to several of the analysis managers over there - so now I just have to sit and wait (the hardest part).

Still haven't been given any notice here at Lockheed Martin. Rumor is that they're waiting for the annoucement of the winner of the Joint Common Missile competition. We're competing against Raytheon and Boeing. Considering our losing streak of late, we're not too optimistic. Doesn't matter, it won't be enough to make up for the Commanche hit.

I'll update as soon as anything happens...
Old 06-10-2004, 07:09 PM
jenket944
Pro

Default IT'S OFFICIAL NOW

Just got my notice today. My last day will be June 28. About frickin time they got around to doing this...they've been keeping me in limbo for 2 months. At least now I can make official plans. Just moved into the girlfriend's house so I've got plenty of projects to keep my busy. I'll probably just take tomorrow off and finish moving stuff out of the apartment. Not really mad now - just glad that I can finally get on with my life. Debated leaving earlier but wanted to hold out for the severance. Get my checks in early July! Maybe I'll buy that turbo afterall!

Still no word on the job interview with USA in Houston.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Now that you have a termination date, the first thing you MUST do tomorrow is go to the unemployment office and fill out your paperwork. $500 a month is still $500 a month... and it is money for you that your company pays for this very reason. The longer you wait, the less you get, and the less of a chance the unemployment office will grant you the funds.

Good to hear you are networking. Keep talking to people in positions that can get you back in. In the meantime, catch up on the things you neglected while you were so busy.

It stings for a while... but more often than not, people end up better than they were before.

Hang in there!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian (jenket944) Your schedule is now open for 944 fest..
Old 06-10-2004, 11:31 PM
Boobers
Advanced

So sorry to hear your news, it's never easy to lose a job. Lots of upside though! I don't need to go into details but stay productive in other ways, learn to enjoy your time and reflect on this as an opportunity. You'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Just found out I'm getting laid off