Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 door handle trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022 | 11:25 PM
zerokreap
Rennlist Member

Default 968 door handle trouble

Was replacing the gaskets on my 968's for handles and ran into a problem. Replacing driver's side went well enough. However, I was finishing up on the passenger's side and accidentally stripped the attachment point (see pic). Not sure how it happened. Started the bolt by hand, but I was having some trouble with getting the handle pushed back into its"locked" position. I thought that of I could get the bolt going, it would pull the handle back into place. Obviously my plan didn't work out as expected.

So what is my best option here? Can I use a tap to create new, slightly larger diameter threads? Then use a new, larger diameter bolt? Seems like the only other option is to replace the handle, which would require some paint work on the new handle...seems like a PITA. I'm so annoyed that I stripped the thing.

Last edited by zerokreap; 01-29-2022 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2022 | 09:26 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

I had this occur last weekend. The thickness of the new gaskets can sometimes position the door handle so that the threads may not line up well with the hole in the door. My passenger side went well. I had to try to force the drivers side to align and I stripped it. I knew better, but I was trying to force the issue with a handle that wasn’t seating well and could have used an extra set of hands that I didn’t have.

I grabbed my 6 x 1.0 helicoil kit and using the tap in the kit, I tapped out the hole in the handle. The tricky part is that the helicoils in my kit were too long for how shallow this hole is. So I had to cut it in half either before or after the installation. I first cut before the install, but that deformed the insert a bit and it didn’t install well so I pulled it out and installed another full length insert. Then I took the handle to the bench grinder and let the edge of the stone remove the unneeded section of the coil. They are thin and grind away easily. I hope this helps and shout if you have any questions.

Cliff

Last edited by chudson; 01-30-2022 at 04:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jay Wellwood (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022 | 10:11 AM
zerokreap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chudson
I had this occur last weekend. The thickness of the new gaskets can sometimes position the door handle so that the threads may not line up well with the hole in the door. My passenger side went well. I had to try to force the drivers side to align and I stripped it. I knew better, but I was trying to force the issue with a handle that wasn’t seating well and could have used an extra set of hands that I didn’t have.

I grabbed my 6 x 1.0 helicoil kit and using the tap in the kit, I tapped out the hole in the handle. The tricky part is that the shortest helicoil is too long for how shallow this hole is. So it has to be cut in half either before or after the installation. I first cut before the install, but that deformed the insert a bit and it didn’t install well so I pulled it out and installed another full length insert. Then I took the handle to the bench grinder and let the edge of the stone remove the unneeded section of the coil. They are thin and grind away easily. I hope this helps and shout if you have any questions.

Cliff
Cliff, this is great information. Glad to know I'm not the only impatient person out there. It's weird, I ordered the Porsche part for those gaskets, but they are a little thick. How did you get around that? The gasket is positioned on all the little metal posts on the backside of the handle. So is there a good method for pushing the handle back into place?

I don't have any experience with a helicoil, so I may hit you up with a question. In fact, is there any particular brand you recommend on the kit?

Old 01-30-2022 | 11:11 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Yeah I had more difficulty with this recent set when compared to those I’ve done in the past. When I mentioned that I could have used another pair of hands, that would have been to hold the door and apply inward pressure to the handle in the hope of making it easier for me to get the bolt started.

I’ll PM you my contact info and we can talk by phone

Cliff
The following users liked this post:
zerokreap (01-30-2022)

Quick Reply: 968 door handle trouble