Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift linkage woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022 | 02:43 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Unhappy Shift linkage woes

The other day, I was able to move my car around in my buddy's shop, going forward and backwards several times, to get it out of the shop and pointed towards the road. I took about a 2-!/2 mile drive around the neighborhood and came back into the shop to do other things to it, like interior pieces that had to be replaced. Anyway, when I went to back the car up, it wouldn't go into 5th gear or reverse. We put it up on the lift, and although I can see it move the shift arm on the transaxle, in and out, I am unsure as to how to get the shift arm to pop out far enough to get access to the 5th and reverse section of the gate. I have taken off both shift boots to visually inspect the shifter isn't hitting the coachwork lip that surrounds the opening. But when shifting if feels like that after 4th gear and going to 5th or reverse, you just hit a "wall" and the shifter won't move any further. As far as mods to the transmission, the only thing I have on it is the 944 Online shifter rod with the two ball joints on it . I don't have the short shifter kit. My estimation is: 1. something has changed in the linkage.2 It may be where the shifter arm is bolted to the 944 linkage kit..Although the bolt seems tight that connects the two items. If I reposition the link in the slot on the shift arm, should the link go inwards or outwards? Or just in the middle? Open for suggestions..TIA
Old 01-29-2022 | 04:01 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Hitting a wall is exactly what it sounds like. Even though you are pushing the shift lever as far to the side as possible you are not engaging into the next gate for 5th and Rev. I would say out of adjustment sounds simple from the desk and typing on a key board but I bet you step back think it out and you will find something slipped or you need more throw at the back maybe lengthen the link.
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022 | 10:21 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gasngo
Hitting a wall is exactly what it sounds like. Even though you are pushing the shift lever as far to the side as possible you are not engaging into the next gate for 5th and Rev. I would say out of adjustment sounds simple from the desk and typing on a key board but I bet you step back think it out and you will find something slipped or you need more throw at the back maybe lengthen the link.
Yes, there is an adjustment at the shift linkage. There's a nut you need to loosen, then tilt the shift lever to the left ten degrees or so, then re-tighten the nut. It would probably be a good idea to use loctite on it.
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (01-30-2022)
Old 02-01-2022 | 10:34 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Tempest. Made the adjustment yesterday and all is cured. I have reverse now and presumably 5th gear back as well. Thanks for the tip...apparently it doesn't take much to lose those...

Quick Reply: Shift linkage woes