Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what kind of struts are these?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2022 | 09:53 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Default what kind of struts are these?

Its off an early car, obviously not the standard strut collars. Is it worth using/keeping or selling?
Old 01-19-2022 | 10:19 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Could you push up the dust cover and reshoot the photo? From the blue dust cover and the glimpse of the nut, I'm going to guess they're Bilstein inserts. But I can't say for sure without a better picture.
If they're not leaking, they're worth keeping, but they're likely old, so who knows?
Old 01-20-2022 | 07:40 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agreed, they look like they might be Bilsteins; if the shaft appears to be almost as wide as the housing, that'll pretty well seal it.

Very good, very durable, have had 'em on my 931 for a long time. Also run Bilsteins on my 924 racecar, but those are a rather different piece...
Old 01-21-2022 | 02:14 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Agreed, they look like they might be Bilsteins; if the shaft appears to be almost as wide as the housing, that'll pretty well seal it.

Very good, very durable, have had 'em on my 931 for a long time. Also run Bilsteins on my 924 racecar, but those are a rather different piece...
Yes the shaft is notably bigger. I also have a pair of "green body" struts, that I know are bilstiens (as they have a sticker saying so)

Im just debating what to put on temporarily until I can do the Rear springplate bushings and go full coilover on my 931.

Would these have been a factory piece or a later upgrade? As I have seen the Bilstein upgrade where you have to weld the threaded ring to the top of the strut housing, but these are clearly NOT that.
Old 01-21-2022 | 08:12 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, not sure if it helps, but I'm planning on leaving these on my 931 when I lower it (maybe 1", hopefully this summer). I don't plant to go up substantially on spring rate, and the rest of the suspension is stock with (refreshed) rubber bushings etc.

Not sure what your end target is for performance; are you planning on more of a track suspension build, what kind of spring rates and bushings? At some point, yes these would not be ideal for higher spring rates... but I'd ask what you'd be intending to replace them with, and what the intended use of the car is... I would not say that Koni yellows would be an upgrade for these, not in track use, not based on my experience with same. Not for a full race suspension build... and I don't believe the Konis have the same durability as the Bilsteins...
Old 01-21-2022 | 08:22 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Im going with poly bushes front and rear (poly bronze for spring plate) and 300F coil, 475 rear. This is a "back roads/canyon/mtn carver"
I already have a front coil conversion (with the stock spring cup cut off) with koni's already in them, ready to go on, but thats the easy part, so I wont do that until I can do the rear.
these bilstiens would just be place holders, as the current strut mounts are shot, and, what ever struts that are in it now are some cheap crap.
Old 02-02-2022 | 08:17 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Well, not sure if it helps, but I'm planning on leaving these on my 931 when I lower it (maybe 1", hopefully this summer). I don't plant to go up substantially on spring rate, and the rest of the suspension is stock with (refreshed) rubber bushings etc.

Not sure what your end target is for performance; are you planning on more of a track suspension build, what kind of spring rates and bushings? At some point, yes these would not be ideal for higher spring rates... but I'd ask what you'd be intending to replace them with, and what the intended use of the car is... I would not say that Koni yellows would be an upgrade for these, not in track use, not based on my experience with same. Not for a full race suspension build... and I don't believe the Konis have the same durability as the Bilsteins...
Ok can you make an argument for either? Right now I have (not installed) a pair of Koni "converstion" coilovers (which is what I planned to install with 300lbs springs, a pair of the Green (early 944 sport option) Bilsteins, the HD? bilsteins with the Threaded collar. and a "regular" Koni adjustbles (not coilover)
SO: until I install the coilovers set up (front and rear) im going with a temporary "stock" set up just to replace the crappy struts that the PO put in.
(and all the rest are for sale)

Now can the "Top collar" Bilsteins be swapped into the Coilover bodies? and would they work with the 300lbs springs?

Quick Reply: what kind of struts are these?