Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker wiring 101?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 01:07 AM
W88951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will certainly agree that not all of the specialty car audio shops do a fantastic job either but they usually have some better professionals than the large chains do. I know of a bunch of specialty car audio places that would never recommend anybody go to.

I also recognize that there are some Chain stores that will have employees with talent and knowledge but it is certainly the exception not the rule.

I also agree with using larger than 12awg wire that is why I corrected it in a later post. But for his purposes 4 is overkill and is better but 10 will do the job.

Kevin, contrats on finishing an engineering degree I know how hard they are. I have numerous friends that are EE's ME's and Chem E's. I would have loved to have a EE degree, but I am horrible with math. I had to settle for a Masters in CIS.

What I meant by going someplace else with a better reputation is: Everybody that I know that started off in a chain store and continued working in the audio industry has moved on to either start their own buiness or to a specialty shop where they can focus more attention on the customer and selling solid products as well as more custom installations. I am sure you recognize that most people do not work for more than 1 or two years at Circuit City or Best Buy, etc.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:12 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll vouch for the fact that not all "specialty" shops are good. My old mechanic recommended an audio shop near me as "great". So, I brought my previous 88 944 to them to fix the "no FM reception" problem. They looked at it, and when I picked it up a little later, the guy basically said they connected everything correctly, but the 944's are notorious for having bad reception, due to a ground loop (?) formed by the car body!?

I took the car home, checked on Rennlist, and found my antenna amp lead dangling under the dash. Connected it, and got perfect reception.

Rennlist 1, specialty shop--ZERO!

Quick Reply: Speaker wiring 101?