Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C problem

I know why my a/c doesn't work, my clutch on it is gone. Can I replace this myself? Do I have to re-fill the system then or what? Can I just get the clutch? Where is a good place for parts on it??..
Old 04-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A/C system problems suck. I'm going through a similar issue on mine - I have a leaky compressor and hose. What I've learned after a lot of phone calls, posts, digging through archives, etc. is that (1) You do NOT want to work on these yourself (it's too involved unless you have a very well-equipped garage and a lot of specialized equipment) and (2) ANY a/c problem is going to cost about $1,000 (if not more), pretty much no matter what to fix.

No matter what it is with yours - the compressor, the compressor clutch, or the compressor clutch switch, the system will have to be depressurized, evacuated, tested, then re-pressurized once the repair is done. Just take it to a shop and save yourself the hassle. I know it's going to be expensive, but that's the nature of a/c systems. This is one of the reasons that older cars with good, working a/c are rare - in most cases, it just isn't worth the cost of the repairs for most people.

If you're sure it's the clutch and want to save a little $$$, just buy a rebuilt compressor & clutch and switch (maybe $200-$300), then take it in and have the shop put the parts on for you. Call around and make sure it's a good shop and they know what the hell they're doing. These systems are EXTREMELY easy to screw up! I'd even consider going to a dealer, despite the extra cost. Also, make sure they (and you) know EXACTLY what the system is charged with (should be pure R12 for yours). Do NOT accept "knock off" refrigerants, r134a, or anything other than R12. Also, INSIST that they evacuate the system with vaccum for a good long time before charging. If they give you a hard time about any of this, turn and walk away. Good luck with it!

Quick Reply: A/C problem