Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know if you have to have a front license plate on in MN? and.........

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 04:25 AM
3 Turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know if you have to have a front license plate on in MN? and.........

do you run one if the state requires it? Or are you a bad boy :-)

My car runs warm, and runs a little cooler without it, whether it is on the street and definitlly cooler on the track.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone in MN knew for sure whether a front license plate is required or not.

TIA! Steve
Old 04-17-2004, 08:37 AM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Hey, I used to live in Minneapolis area, Lakeville actually. I never ran with a front plate with any of my cars During the 5 years I lived there. But it IS a law that you need to have one. I did get a "written warning" once though....
Old 04-17-2004, 11:05 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it is required unless you have one of the special class plates like a collectors plate for cars over 20 years old. But regular plate enforcement is another issue. When I first lived in MN I got stopped and warned 2 times and the cop said he would be looking for me and the next time was a ticket. That was 15 years ago.

After moving back to MN I have been running without one for 4 years. Never been stopped on the road but some ******* gave me a ticket when the car was parked in front of the Post Office. The fine is $100! I went to talk to the hearing officer and he thought that was a bit steep and knocked it down to $25 but said that was the last time they would do it.

I'm still running without the plate.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a comment on this. I live in RI. I lost my front plate on my range rover, (it is a law here to have it) and i went and reported it to the police right away.
They gave me a printout, and said okay your set to go. i asked if i had to go get one, they said no you can keep this with you in the car until it is found and if you get stopped you show the policeman/woman this. i said, what if its not found? He said i could just use that paper indefinately.... So that is a way to get around it. at least here.

Although, it's probably not a good idea... you don't want to give the cops a reason to pick you out of the crowd. That may do just that. But if you got a good record to lose, and want ot lose your front plate. Do it!
Old 04-18-2004, 03:47 PM
GRBoomer
Track Day

A friend of mine used to have Fiero and the cop told him that he needed a front plate mounted on the front of the car (not on the dash). Without the license plate, the low profile Fiero with plastic body panels does not produce a large enough radar signiture for Smokey.

Now with the advent of laser and the reflective 3M license plate coating, I would think the police would even want a front license plate even more. The license plate is their target with laser, and the plate is in a consistant placement positioned to give a reflection back to the laser source.

I just recently saw a 951 without a front plate though.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:28 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that 951 was black and in the twin cities, that was probably me.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:35 PM
3 Turbos

For those that might have any interest, in the state of MN;

1) no front plate on your car is required if your car is older than 1972

2) "collector plates" can be had when your car is 20 years old.

3) even if your car is 20+ years old and you get "collector plates", you still need a front plate

Old 04-19-2004, 05:52 PM
GRBoomer
Track Day

Originally posted by IceShark
If that 951 was black and in the twin cities, that was probably me.
No. Guards Red.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:28 PM
3 Turbos

could be me (no, I'm not breaking the law) - I have Guards Red - although I have seen another Guards Red without a front plate also.

Actually, I see very few 944 and 944T running around MN, and the few I do see, do not have front plates

Quick Reply: Anyone know if you have to have a front license plate on in MN? and.........