Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Vs. VR-4

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 07:33 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what mods did the 951 have and what does the VR-4 have? Also the newer version has more horsepower then his version.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The VR-4 is a pig.

Further, when I was into Jap cars was pretty unusual to see one break the 12s. By far the slowest (least desirable) of the late 90s Jap cars. Look good on the outside though.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by daniel951
of course on the track that is what i said in my first statement
DOH! I'm a loser. Sorry.

Old 04-16-2004, 10:35 PM
daniel951
Race Car

How much does my chances increase if i race from a roll even though they won't let us at the track but just curious.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:35 PM
daniel951
Race Car

and forgot to mention about my car is that it has a fresh engine basically
Old 04-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Boricua944
Pro

i hear the 951 aren't all that great at launchin unless you dump the clutch. i might be wrong
Old 04-17-2004, 01:31 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Bor, you are absolutley right, the 951s do suck off the line. And "dumping the clutch" is not worth it..

We got the rolling starts covered though
Old 04-17-2004, 01:47 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 487 Posts

and forgot to mention about my car is that it has a fresh engine basically
If his car is stock..you SHOULD eat him for breakfast...

My friend had a modified VR4 with 420hp and modded sus. and the car could play with supras in fast corners(couldnt play with me in tight corners) and would stay with brand new vettes up to 165mph....Very fast car but not the most flickable..-chris
Old 04-17-2004, 01:54 AM
p0wp0w
Pro

shortyboy, play around with the adjustment nut on the back to get different sounds. Mine sounds a lot like the one in the vid, the only question I have is what mods did you do to allow you to blow-off at idle??? That means that you built boost while revving right? Smaller turbo?? Just wonderin'
Old 04-17-2004, 02:13 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 206 Likes on 134 Posts

OK, Here's what I'm guessin... You SAY your gonna run at the track to keep the soap-boxxers off your back, but the truth is you know you'll meet this VRfour on the street sooner or later. Braggin rights are very valuable in the group. here's what will happen.. He WILL pull you from a light. HARD. You will gain on him from the first time your T-bo kicks in the boost, but by then He's already a car length out. By second gear your door to door gaining, third has him fading in the mirror. You will win.. but not the way you want to.

Here is what I'd do. Tell him you got a suspect clutch, you need to run him from a rolling start, say 20 or 30 MPH. Admit he's the master of the hard launch with his 4x4, You know you haven't got a chance there. Go out to the boonies and find some open highway. DO NOT Play around in suburbia. In second gear, say 30 MPH, let him hit it first, then you stomp on it. This is where your car will shine. He can have the 0-30, you will be the king beyond that without destroying the car. He gets his little victory, you get to be the champ. I know a guy who used to street race, always crying about a burnt clutch (it was fine) and get a rolling start. the suckers fell for it every time. Street racing ain't cool, but I believe if you minimalize the risks it can be done fairly safe. What's the point of having 400HP under the hood if you can't use it?
I drove a VR4 a few times. it's closer to a 928 in mass, nice to put power down to all 4, but not in the same league as my 951. Then again, the one I drove was stock, most of them are not stock anymore.

Good Luck, play safe..
Old 04-17-2004, 04:15 AM
daniel951
Race Car

i asked him to go to a rolling start a while back but he said i would kick his ***. So he knows LOL. We are good friends so it mostly BS that comes out of his mouth. Tonight i was in the most pissed off mood though. I was cruisin around dowtown where all my friends and the ricers and high school kids hang out and all of a sudden a red SUV pulls up to me and moons me so i get pissed off and get behind them. Next i see them getting a beer bottle and chuck it by me to flatened my tires over me doing nothing to them. I got pissed off found anything i could and threw it at their car. Next thing all the little bastards turned off screaming Fuc&er. Good thing i wasn't around my friends at the time or if their was less of them. Their was 6 so i was out # but shows you how big of wimps they are by turning off. I know i will catch them sometime to pay for what they have done
Old 04-17-2004, 05:49 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Dan, that does suck, man!

My roomie has a 1st gen. VR4 that he put over six grand into. Though he's still working out his timing and general tuning issues, our cars are pretty evenly matched.

I'm confident you will own him pretty well The whole launch issue depends on two things for him:
1) Whether or not he's good at lauching AWD cars
2) Whether or not he's willing to risk drivetrain damage and launch it fully

From a roll I'm sure you will take him with ease.... he might have 320hp on tap from the flywheel, but his transfer case saps more power (~20% total drivetrain loss compared to our ~15%) and he weighs 800 lbs.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:30 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally posted by p0wp0w
shortyboy, play around with the adjustment nut on the back to get different sounds. Mine sounds a lot like the one in the vid, the only question I have is what mods did you do to allow you to blow-off at idle??? That means that you built boost while revving right? Smaller turbo?? Just wonderin'
im guessing that 951 in the vid has an upgraded turbo.cause all i get is a wooooshhhh sound,but when i redline it in idle thats when i hear the psht sound.i dont think you can make alot of boost in idle/neutral,but there is little boost.the way i can tell is because when i rev in idle the bov is soft,but when i punch it in first and second its loud like hell.

as for the punks making trouble,their just jealous you got a nice car!i have the same problem here except theres no where to run(oahu!)youll catch them sooner or later.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:36 AM
Geo
Race Director

i asked him to go to a rolling start a while back but he said i would kick his ***. So he knows LOL. We are good friends so it mostly BS that comes out of his mouth. Tonight i was in the most pissed off mood though. I was cruisin around dowtown where all my friends and the ricers and high school kids hang out and all of a sudden a red SUV pulls up to me and moons me so i get pissed off and get behind them. Next i see them getting a beer bottle and chuck it by me to flatened my tires over me doing nothing to them. I got pissed off found anything i could and threw it at their car. Next thing all the little bastards turned off screaming Fuc&er. Good thing i wasn't around my friends at the time or if their was less of them. Their was 6 so i was out # but shows you how big of wimps they are by turning off. I know i will catch them sometime to pay for what they have done
Don't go looking for trouble.

You'll live longer.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

as an owner of a VR-4 I can tell you they are fast cars in stck form and if both were stock the vr-4 willbeat the 951 even in rolling starts,,the only place we have a chanse is from 80 mile and upward becouse they have simialr top speeds and the vr-4 wight boggs then down a bit..but they are fast and due to their 4 wheel tracktion they have an advantage..I bumped mine to 390 horsepwer and I was beating almmost everythin in sight....BUT!!! the 951 is superior all around..that is why I own one now..the vr-4 is not fot he track allthough it does hold grip at high speeds..I have pesonally taken the car up to 176 miles per hour and man was that vr-4 stable!!!!!but my current 951 will destry it allaround except in the wet or very very very high speeds...951..world class porsche racer!!bottom line..how many people race vr-4,,we have great cars..love 944's!!! enjoy

Quick Reply: 951 Vs. VR-4