Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polishing Plastic - How to Get my Instrument Cluster Out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 09:03 PM
TonD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by j_overly
The "gauge rings" will go through the back of the bezel once you separate the cluster from the front bezel (large screws on back of cluster edge on back). They go through the large hole. The large ring is the only difficult one. It will flex enough to fit through the hole.

I bought a set from a german company selling them on ebay (couldn't even read the invoice). I am now "Excellente Abwicklung, 1A eBayer, www.armaturenringe.de sagt Dankesch¿n !!!" which probably means gullable american. This is off their site:

They will have you secure them with super-glue so they don't move around. Make sure you let them dry overnight with the open holes facing up or you will have a nasty white haze on the inside of your clear cover.
From what I know of our East-side neighbour country's language (I'm from Holland you see..) it means something like

"Perfect transaction, A+ user www.blallahh.de says thank you!" Anywho, let's see if there something similar for early cars
Old 04-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.armaturenringe.de/agb.htm - this is just a bunch of legal stuff

Shop pages... Just click on the Produktübersicht tab, then Porsche. They only have rings for the 944/968 gauges. $55.68, or €44. Click "Mehr Details."

Product View:
High shine gauge ring set of 4 gauge rings for your Porsche 944 or 968. For 1985.5 and up, includes material for mounting and easy to follow instructions.

The price is given again, including value added tax. Click "Bestellen" to order or "Zurück" to go back.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Gosh, thanks Scuba Steve!

(lol - That sounds so much like bad dialog from a 1950's cartoon serial!)

I think I'll contact No. Hollywood Speedometer for a possible U.S. source for these chrome rings.

Zero - Hope you get this. Please PM me to discuss the possible purchase of your LED kit. I think I am interested but have questions to ask. -Dan

p.s. Man, did this thread turn into a long one. I never imagined we all cared about instruments so much!
Old 04-20-2004, 01:02 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have pics of the bezel install j_overly? Ie not extreme close ups? I bid on those once, but decided against as I did not have a clear idea on how they would look.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:18 AM
SeattleS2
Advanced

I'll post this again and see if I get a reply....

Oh, BTW, I actually like the bezel rings! Thanks for the info!!!

Original message below:
-----------------------------------------------------

I know polishing side market lenses and the sort would probably be a cake... And, I'll probably do that... thanks for the suggestion. But, polishing the clear plastic over the guage cluster on a bench grinder????

I think NOT!

This is a part I'd rather not &$*$ with! I just want to replace. So, if you cannot seperate this piece from the rest of the cluster seperately, what the hell were you guys talking about????

Maybe I'm not following the thread correctly or something, but I thought your instructions were to do exactly that. I guess I was wrong.

Why are Audi/Mercedes/Porsche so evil as not to make parts like this easlily removable and replacement parts readily available. It's like they want to make parts unavailable and overpriced so our cars will look crappy and convince us to give in and buy a new Boxter. WELL IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK WITH ME PORSCHE!

So, you are saying the clear plastic cover over the guages is NOT available as a seperate part from Porsche??? This part that always gets scratched and damaged?

This seems all too unfair, but all too familiar.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Decaf Dan, decaf!

Quick Reply: Polishing Plastic - How to Get my Instrument Cluster Out?