Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drip Rail and Windscreen Frame

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021 | 04:47 AM
Jaffar
Advanced

Default Drip Rail and Windscreen Frame

I have an early 944. The drip rail was damaged a little while ago at the location it was stored.

Searching through the forum was not all that helpful in explaining how the drip rail and windscreen frame are installed so I took a deep breath and pulled them off. Here is what I found for future reference of anyone wanting to do something similar.

The drip rail is a very light aluminium moulding/extrusion which is clipped over the spot welded joint of the roof and the side panel around the door. There is no glue/tape/clips/screws holding it on, the ally is compliant enough to clip over the upstanding lip of that joint. It would appear it just press fits back over the lip when reinstalled (would suggest with a bit of lubricant). I removed it by carefully prying it out from the roof side with a very smooth and thin stainless steel putty blade and a plastic spatula. After you get a start it is pretty easy to remove. Jusy pops off.

Here are some photos:

Damage

Drip rail removed

Joint and upturned lip

Joint and upturned lip

Joint and upturned lip

Damage partially repaired waiting for some filler which will hang onto the ally.

Edge of windscreen with frame removed.

I also removed the windsreen frame which is held in place by a number of clips. I applied a liberal amount of penetrant to the clips from under the frame. The side frame clips can released slightly by tapping the clips sideways (once you see the clips it is obvious which way to tap them). I used a small block of ally and a tack hammer so as not to damage anything. You can lift the trim peice with the claw of a claw hammer (very carfully with something to spread the load over both the windscreen and the frame. Once started it was pretty easy to continue with your fingers, just very gingerly. For the top piece of the frame I lifted it with a wide putty kife and it started lifting enough to get some penetrant in and to lift it off with the putty knife. It is better to gradually work back and forth over the whole of this trim rather than work from one side. I was lucky as the whole area around the roof was rust free and the original paint (grey) and the newer paint (yellow) were in good condition. About half the clips were pretty badly rusted but the lugs they sit behind were also rust free. Once again there was no double sided tape. These trims are also aluminium extrusions.

I am currently thinking about re fitting the widscreen flush as in latter cars but do not want to remover the lugs so I would have to do it with the earlier windscreen which may not work. Any thoughts? Has anyone done this?

Quick Reply: Drip Rail and Windscreen Frame