Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do your fenders have 3+ lbs of rubberized sealant on the inside?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts
Question Do your fenders have 3+ lbs of rubberized sealant on the inside?

In order to pound out the damage incurred by the gracious assitance of a 16 year old driver (who really has no business with a driver's license) - I discovered that my car's fenders are quite heavy. Granted, the metal gauge is significant - but there was also a full shellacking of this obnoxious rubbery substance that was at least 2mm thick throughout.

Being the weight conscious (on the car at least) individual that I am - I scraped all the offensive material out of the fender that was removed. The total weight of this labor was on the order of 3 pounds. It seems this material is inside all four fenders and also on the primary body structure within the fenders. My conservative estimate is that there must exist at least 25 to 30 pounds of this stuff just within the fenders. I understand the rust protection and sound deadening properties of this material - but I don't like the weight handicap.

So, my question remains... is this common to all 944s or is this a possible dealer (or aftermarket) applied process? Being that my car has spent all its life in the rust belt, it seems possible that it may be applied outside the factory. On the other hand, I had the opportunity to measure corner weights a few years ago and the total vehicle weight was just over 2700 lbs. From what I have seen this is at, or below, the specs applicable for my car (85.5, N/A).

I guess I know the answer. This is standard "equipment" and it's there for the reasons stated above. So if I want to do something about it - it's going to be a lot a work. So far I've deleted the A/C, the charcoal cannister, some sound deadener and a few other minor items. I'm looking at the front tie-down brackets and other possible weight savings. Short of stripping the car down to nothing, and starting over, there may be as much as 100 to 150 pounds to be eliminated.

Sorry for the rant - It's just that I have this philosphy: "weight is the enemy". Porsche understands this as well as any manufacturer. I'll have to build my own RS or Club Sport - I sure can't afford to pay for one.

Happy Motoring
Old 04-14-2004, 10:06 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm that's standard it helps your body from rust. I wouldn't remove it.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by seb928s
Hmm that's standard it helps your body from rust. I wouldn't remove it.
Too late
Old 04-14-2004, 10:12 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Three pounds too late.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just don't rally it, and get frequent underbody washes at carwashes that do so. you might be ok. Might be ok.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:43 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Heh, can always spray it with POR-15
Old 04-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It'll give you some impact resistance if you ever blow up a tire too - those rubber shards can do some damage - I know this from experience with my truck! If you just have paint / metal there it'll dent it.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:13 PM
helzerr
Advanced

You've discovered one of the secrets, why Porsche's (and most other European imports) sound more "substantial" instead of the "tin can" feeling you get from Japanese imports.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by yieldsign2
just don't rally it, and get frequent underbody washes at carwashes that do so. you might be ok. Might be ok.
"Don't rally it". That's funny! I did take it last year when I worked as a marshal at the Cadillac Forest Rally in Michigan. There was so much sand and dirt stuffed in the engine compartment and inside the wheels - I thought I'd never get it all out. In fact - yesterday, I found plenty that was still on the lower horizontal surfaces. I have most of the front half of the engine apart now, so most everything is exposed.

In addition to the body work, I'm deleting the A/C, rebuilding the steering rack and pump, replacing the outer tie rod ends and the oil pan gasket. Should have a nice clean and fresh front end in two weeks time.

On a note regarding the rubber sealant - there are still the huge plastic inner fender shields that are on these cars. These babies should provide plenty of protection against road debris etc. It won't protect against salt spray - but I don't use "Herbie" in the winter anyway.

Quick Reply: Do your fenders have 3+ lbs of rubberized sealant on the inside?