Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GGRRrrr, anyone have 1-4 center caps like these for sale???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GGRRrrr, anyone have 1-4 center caps like these for sale???

Ok, stupid Porsche center caps!!!! They cost sooo damn much for just the colored crest!!!! (compared to other companies) And thats the plastic ones!!! This is the second time a crest has fallen off the center cap! (i wouldn't be complaining if they stayed on!) I like the look of the colored crest, but havent really wanted to go painted yet. So, here we go:

Does anyone have---

1 - 4: Silver centercap plastic, with Porsche Crest inlay
4: Silver aluminum center caps with Porsche crest inlay (with line or without)
4: Silver aluminum, with painted crest (so i can see them and consider it, cause i dont want to paint my original set)

Feel free to toss the offer up here, but i dont want people stealing my offers! HAHA, a PM might be better. I'll buy one, i'll buy two, i might buy 4 ! It seems i need the spares! So what's everyone got lying around for me?

Heres the look im talking about-
Attached Images  

Last edited by Blue S2; 04-11-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

HAHA, i just got the image in my head of some kids walking down the street in my area finding my dropped crests and thinking, "HAHA stupid rich guy just bought a sports car and he's loosin' peices! HAHA, sucker!"

Old 04-11-2004, 05:39 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Pick up a used set on ebay and paint the centers yourself. I know you're an artistic guy.

While we're on the centercap subject, does anyone make a Porsche crest centercap that's 2 3/8" diameter? Porsche's caps are 3" diameter and I need smaller ones for a secret project.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My S2 cab has factory painted center caps, but they are not concave like those pictured. Perhaps that's why those are falling off?

The factory caps have a brass backing that makes them quite hard to remove with the wheel off, impossible to remove with the wheel on.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

No no no, the caps stay on! Very well infact! Its the damn crest! It actually pops off! They are just glued on! The actual crest just falls off the center cap!

EDIT: Thinking about it some more.... I dont know... i really likve the inlaid crest look. Maybe i will just try painting some. Im gonna do a search on it. Could i use just standard paint, like for models? Would i need to sand it a little for primer as well, and then a few coats of clear i assume? Nothing special?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:48 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Painting them is really, really easy. I have virtually zerp artistic talent and mine came out good. I just used some spray paint to paint the whole cap (Cookie Cutter wheels), then used a red and a gold paint marker to color the rest in.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Like I said, the factory caps stay on, crest included. They're all metal and the crest is simply painted in color. You could get a factory set and paint them, or a painted set, or those super expensive ones in the Rennlist store that keep the crest vertical even with the car in motion!
Old 04-12-2004, 12:29 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
those super expensive ones in the Rennlist store
Where did those go? I can't seem to find the page that had all of that stuff anymore.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Dunno, I haven't looked since they were advertised but I'm sure John D. will sell you some if you're in the market for a set.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

The crest stays vertical????? I wanna see those! HAHAHA, a waste of money unless you have someone taking photos of you driving! Its soo sad they we must drive our cars frm the inside. I would sooo love to see my car autocrossing, or flying by at a high rate of speed. I really need to bring someone along at the next event to sit and "capture the moments."
Old 04-12-2004, 12:52 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Yep. Stays perfectly vertical and is not a waste of money if you consider the folks eyeing your car at stop lights.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:57 AM
glen2002
Racer

Blue, the idea is that the crest is vertical ALWAYS when you park the car. I think some of the new Bentley's do the same. I also saw an aftermarket one for a bmw, worked well don't know what it cost. Good luck searching
Old 04-12-2004, 01:01 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

I think the Rennlist store sets were around $500.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:40 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

See, that also goes against the "Crest must point towards the valve stem" principle. So others get to enjoy my crests at lights, they defy Porsche rule, and they are even more than a normal set of aluminums.

I think i'll buy a bigger rear sway.

HAHA, just playing. They sound neat. I notice the store is gone as well though. Oh well. Im actually not THAT pressed on the crests, im just tired of losing them. Thats 2 in a year.

Hey, in other news, i bought a case of painters tape on ebay today for autoX use. 60yds, 2" wide rolls. It basically came to $2 per roll ! Home depot had the same rolls individually for $7 a roll! Anyone have any experience with that stuff? I was turned on to it at the last autocross and its wonders of not blemeshing paint or leaving adhesion while still decently protecting from cone marks! Any opinions of this stuff? A lot of people really seemed satisfied with it. Some 996 was basically covered with it!

Quick Reply: GGRRrrr, anyone have 1-4 center caps like these for sale???