Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RANT: Airline kept my fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs down RANT: Airline kept my fuel pump

Just posting this for future reference to anyone planning on traveling with parts for their car in their luggage.

In this age of airline terrorism and maximum security we automobile enthusiasts are going to have an increasingly hard time traveling with car parts. Yesterday morning I was checking in at Chicago O'Hare and naively indicated to the airline attendant at the counter that I had an "automobile fuel pump" in my carry-on bag and wanted to know whether it would pass security or whether it should be checked in as baggage instead.

Well, she asked to see the part and I pulled out a lightly used 944 fuel pump, still bright green and in its original yellow box with the red "Bosch" lettering, and she took it over to security where they examined it like it was some artifact from outer space, doing everything but blowing into the inlet/outlet ports.

After what seemed hours, a security supervisor appeared and asked me why it didn't smell of gasoline if it was a fuel pump. I explained that it had been put away for several years and the gas has evaporated. After much pondering, he said it was up to the airline to decide and gave it back to the attendant.

She went back to the counter and spoke to her supervisor who ignored me completely since apparently I was attempting to put hazardous material on the plane, and said out loud that the Bosch fuel pump could not travel with me neither as carry-on nor as baggage and the attendant then told me that I must surrender the item. I asked if she could leave it at lost and found so I could have someone pick it up or whether they could mail it to me, and she looked at me like I was an attacker or something. Maybe it was my Barbour overcoat that hinted at a paramilitary association in her fearsome mind.

This is what I get for trying to disclose iffy items in my baggage before going through security. I wonder if the security guys would have done the same. So much for a nice backup fuel pump with very little miles on it. I wonder if someone at the airline disected it looking for explosives.

Once on the plane, I called the airline customer service number to see if they could mail it to me but no dice. I guess I asked for it, but it really pi$$ed me off that they kept it without giving me any options.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:33 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that, that truly stinks. I would have put on the largest scene imaginable...of course i love to over react at things like that Usually i have found if its a suspicious object they at least let you step out of line and mail it to yourself.

Recently i walked right up to the security point with an early style tachometer for my 924S. After my bag was x-rayed of course they saw it and questioned me on it. I simply told them what it was and they were cool with it...Of course it probably also depends on who you deal with.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune!

Later!

Erich
Old 04-07-2004, 11:37 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That just ain't right!!!!!

Call the airline, tell them (demand politley) that they ship the fuel pump to you. They can ship it in the cargo (belly) hold. They will probably only ship it to the airport and you will have to go pick it up. This is called "counter to counter" shipping.

Trust me, they air ship stuff like auto parts all the time.

If they balk, tell them you will contact the Department of Transportation and the FAA and file a complaint regarding an illegal confiscation of a permitted item.

Aviation Consumer Protection Division
U.S. Department of Transportation
400 7th Street, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20590
202-366-2220

Federal Aviation Administration 1-800-255-1111
Old 04-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Greg86andahalf
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear allot of the surrendered stuff eventually ends up being sold by the TSA or airlines on ebay.

It's a shame you can't offer to pay for the shiping to have items like this returned to you. The lost and found idea was a good one.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:00 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

That really does stink. When I went to pick up my 944 in Virginia I flew through O'Hare and I really expected trouble since I had a tool-kit in my bag: pliers, screw drivers, ratchets, duct and electrical tape, the whole bit. Not wanting a rectal probing I decided not to say anything and just check the bag, figuring if they say something I'll explain myself - nary a word. United lost the entire flights' luggage and none of us got our bags until the next day, but I write that off as just general incompetence...

Emanuel
Old 04-08-2004, 01:06 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Back in the day, I transported an A/C system vacuum pump in my carry-on luggage.

That had a little electric motor for drawing a vacuum in the A/C system.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Post-911, I was getting on a flight to California, I didn't even think about it, but I had 2 big knifes in my right pants pocket, about 5" blades each. Didn't set the metal detector off or anything! Only realized it once I was on the plane. They didn't catch them in california either.... and yet they confiscate a fuel pump.
Definately raise **** over that one.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd never have told them. Next time just put it in your luggage. Let them take it out if they want to.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:35 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

even tho you were attempting to do the right thing, i find that its always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:58 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally posted by washington951
even tho you were attempting to do the right thing, i find that its always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
That's one of the rules for living that 9.5 years in the Army taught me...lots of similar others, like "better tried by twelve, than carried by six."
Old 04-08-2004, 05:19 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Dude don't you know that anything containing or previously used for fuel is considered HAZMAT!!! A.K.A. Hazardous Materials. That should be common sense...... I am an aircraft mechanic, I deal with this stuff every day. We cant even ship Fuel related parts on our own aircraft.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:21 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Oh yea, Goingboeing737...... Should be Airbus rules..... LOL
Old 04-08-2004, 05:34 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, but if it had still smelled of fuel they would have believed it was a fuel pump instead of a terroristic device (TM).
Reminds me of the time I had olive oil confiscated out of my checked baggage, because it was a "flammable liquid". Luckily they didn't find the (better) oil in my carry on. An lo and behold it neither spontaneously combusted nor did I use it for a Molotov cocktail. But I digress. General stupidity like that just gets to me. Sorry for your loss, Luis.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:40 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all just faux security to make us feel safer. Like Zero pointed out, you can walk onto a plan with two large knives if you don't tell them, but point out your fuel pump and they'll take it from you. Airport security is a joke.

I'd try and get your relatively new part back. A new one is $150+.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:41 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

That sucks Louis.

Quick Reply: RANT: Airline kept my fuel pump