Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 brakes on 944 N/A?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 11:40 AM
jp944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to do this. Anyone think I should write up a step by step tutorial?

jp
Old 06-07-2004, 11:46 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

You could, but basically if you have the parts selection complete, it's a basic R&R.

I guess a tutorial would be great if you make it all inclusive and host it somewhere with a link, and then include words in your post that would make it easy for someone to find while doing a search (like people do in their ebay ads).

Old 06-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Thank's Tifo......I guess I will go at it then......! My biggest concern was that the early strut bolted up to the newer spindle.....Any ideas....

DAmian
Old 06-07-2004, 01:31 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally posted by Lead Foot 944
Thank's Tifo......I guess I will go at it then......! My biggest concern was that the early strut bolted up to the newer spindle.....Any ideas....

DAmian
It doesn't really bolt up. You will need late struts to do it correctly without screwing around with shims and cutting things.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:48 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, you can kinda make do by grinding the slotted hole on the spindle-clamp on the early struts. But best to get the later struts as well.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, please do post a manual for this conversion on the early cars; I'm considering doing this to balance out the rather substantial power gain I'm going to get as part of the Callaway conversion process. For starters, I have a spare set of stock calipers I'm going to rebuild with new pads, then upgrade the rotors & lines to Zimmerman drilled and braided stainless steel. That should be a pretty good setup, but I'm afraid that if I begin to auto-X the car seriously at all it'll be inadequate and I'll need to look at a big red setup eventually.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:14 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
For starters, I have a spare set of stock calipers I'm going to rebuild with new pads, then upgrade the rotors & lines to Zimmerman drilled and braided stainless steel. That should be a pretty good setup, but I'm afraid that if I begin to auto-X the car seriously at all it'll be inadequate and I'll need to look at a big red setup eventually.
For auto-x only that set-up should be fine. Granted, your car will have a lot of power, but the car is fairly lightweight and there is no way you can build up enough speed (and thus heat while braking) to create any fade, IMHO.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Ok guys, so I was looking thru Some of my Excellence issues, and in one of the issue's, with that white N/A 944 that they do stuff to, they added 951 brakes in the rear, and 928s4 calipers in the front, and they did this without changing spindels, struts, etc....all they did was modify the stock hub a little bit to get the rotors to fit right, mainly cutting the dust shield, and then they just used some adapters for the front calipers made by powerhaus......Anyone have an opinion on this...?

Also other then having to have the calipers, pads and rotors for the rear, is that it..? A direct bolt on fit on my early car..? Just like on a later car..?

DAmian
Old 06-08-2004, 05:19 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Ok guys, so I was looking thru Some of my Excellence issues, and in one of the issue's, with that white N/A 944 that they do stuff to, they added 951 brakes in the rear, and 928s4 calipers in the front, and they did this without changing spindels, struts, etc....all they did was modify the stock hub a little bit to get the rotors to fit right, mainly cutting the dust shield, and then they just used some adapters for the front calipers made by powerhaus......Anyone have an opinion on this...?

Also other then having to have the calipers, pads and rotors for the rear, is that it..? A direct bolt on fit on my early car..? Just like on a later car..?

DAmian
The dust sheild may or may not need to be modified on the rear. Only a small amount may need to be trimmed if at all.

The front adapters were custom and are not readily available as far as I know. Even if they were, I would rather go with the 951 spindles and struts. If you compare the 951 spindles, they are really beefy compared to the anemic 944 ones. They are that way for a reason. Most probably the increased stress from the larger brakes, etc........

I would not take that shortcut. Do it once, do it right!

HTH.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

What about extended high-speed driving? The car will no longer be "power limited" in the high gear; the original Callaway kit yields a top end of 155 mph with 286 shaft horsepower available; I'm shooting for 300-ish at the wheels when all is said and done, so it's going to give even higher speed potential; I haven't looked to see if my car has the ducting for the calipers / rotors (but I kind of thought that was only on later cars) so it might benefit from incorporating that feature of the newer sysetems too. . .

I'd just be curious to see how involved it is - I'll keep with the Zimmerman setup I described for starters and if it works, great. If not and I end up with any fade, I'm thinking the conversion to the new spindles, A-arms, and big reds would be the way to go. . .
Old 06-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DAmian
I think tifo is right about the use of adapters in the article. IIRC that white car is an '89 so if adapters hadn't been used the parts list would be different anyway. The late offset cars don't need to change struts and would use late offset rotors.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:40 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
What about extended high-speed driving? The car will no longer be "power limited" in the high gear; the original Callaway kit yields a top end of 155 mph with 286 shaft horsepower available; I'm shooting for 300-ish at the wheels when all is said and done, so it's going to give even higher speed potential; I haven't looked to see if my car has the ducting for the calipers / rotors (but I kind of thought that was only on later cars) so it might benefit from incorporating that feature of the newer sysetems too. . .

I'd just be curious to see how involved it is - I'll keep with the Zimmerman setup I described for starters and if it works, great. If not and I end up with any fade, I'm thinking the conversion to the new spindles, A-arms, and big reds would be the way to go. . .

The CTS is back on the west coast again. BTW, when I had the kit on my car, I manage to do just over 160mph with 4 people in the car. The problem with the getting more power out of the Callaway style of really is the lack of room. The RHB6 is a decent turbo but a bit old. It sits directly under the #4 exhaust port and the amount of room between the block and the frame is limited. If you can get a newer more efficient turbo with the same size chassis, then you stand to gain more power. And the lower piping has a flange for a Blitz BOV.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:39 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Maybe a Garrett of some sort? The possibilities amaze me now that I'm actually entering the F.I. world. . .

To go above 300 rwhp though I seriously want to replace the transmission - supposedly the na trans is fine unless you go slamming through gears and stuff and I don't plan to, but at the same time, I'm not about to shred my pinion gear by juicing the setup up to 22 psi of boost off of a Garrett or something. . .

Of course, once the required transmission is in place, the only limitation is money - 300 hp out of an na car (which I suppose it technically won't be any more) is pretty nice. The Callaway literature stated that with 286 crank hp it would do 155, so I'm guessing 165-ish is definitely attainable with the nice tall na high gear.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:34 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Well you are rebuilding the motor for turbo right? I don't know if Crippler changed the wastegate spring, but when I sold the kit, I had installed a 15psi spring. I was getting about 270ish at the wheels. I broke the 2nd gear syncro in fall '99 and replaced the tranny with a 951S unit. The callaway kit came up on the classifieds around the same time as the tranny so I picked them both up.

The RHB6 is oil cooled and does not have water cooling. They wear out relatively fast, which is why I would look into switching to a Garrett. You will likely have to change the manfold flange is it is different than any other turbine housing. That is unless they now can use/machine/build a Garrett/IHI hybrid.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Big reds are overkill foar any NA 944 but ugrading to the 944 turbo non S is a great impovment with very little weight added..I believe it's insignificant..I am upgrading to the big blacks and am selling my complete allmost brnd new setup..search for 944 na turbo brake upgrade....if youa re worried about the biasing you can just use the front 944 turbo calipers and that will be a great improvement over stock 944 na...

Quick Reply: 951 brakes on 944 N/A?