Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never ending problems, clutch or transmission???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Never ending problems, clutch or transmission???

Last week when the car was sitting on a slight incline with the transmission in neutral it would roll back with the clutch pressed, when you let out on the clutch it would stop as if you pulled the emergency brake.

I changed the transmission fluid and drove it for a short time and it corrected this problem and it started shifting better.

Today I have a new and puzzling problem. It has become difficult to get into 1st and reverse. I can get on the same incline in 1st gear press the clutch in and the car will not roll back. It is difficult to shift from 1st to neutral with the clutch pushed, if you pull hard enough it will pop into neutral. It is then diffifult to get back into 1st without force, reverse is the same way.
I have checked the slave cylinder travel and it looks good, no air in the slave. Clutch pedal free play is correct.
Car has new clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing.

It will roll back on incline in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears with the clutch pushed but not 1st, 2nd, and Rev.
If you pull into the drive in 1st and press the clutch it will almost start to roll back and then feels like it just grabs and stops, like someone has pulled the emergency brake. Then to move forward you have to let out on the clutch a good 1/2 to 1 inches before you move forward.

So in summary the car does not want to go into or come out of 1st gear or reverse with the clutch pushed. It does not make any difference if the engine is running or not.
So do I have a clutch or transmission problem and what could it b?.

I hope this post is not to long and drawn out, I have tried several test to try and diagnose the problem. If anyone has any idea what the problem is or has any questions feel free to post. Thanks
Old 04-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a clutch going. Ask me how I know! Same basic problem occured at the auto-x 2 weekends ago. Finally the hub blew out completely, now it shifts but clunks.. Gotta get the clutch done.....
Bill
Old 04-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

The clutch is new.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW thats weird...Nothing like the problem I had..My problem was that the master and slave went at the same time..I would guesss maybe check your linkage..Just a shot in the dark...I could ask my mechanic and see what he says..

DAmian
Old 04-06-2004, 12:36 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would appreciate any help. I wonder is the throw out bearing could be bad?
Old 04-06-2004, 01:07 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Did you replace the pilot bearing?
Old 04-06-2004, 07:56 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I replaced the pilot bearing.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Predator
Pro

Charlie, it could be the pilot bearing. Check the heater control valve above the bell housing. If its leaking any fluid, then suspect the pilot bearing. Leaking fluid will channel thru the sensor opening onto the driveshaft and to the pilot bearing. This washes out the lubricant in short order and the driveshat can weld itself to the flywheel. Them, when the clutch engaged, the engine is still transferring power to the drivetrain. In the higher gears, the syncos are probably helping the shifting to seem better than in the lower gears. Check for coolant. If its wet around the HCV, this may be your problem.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I bought the car it had not been driven in 2 years. I rebuilt the engine and the first couple of times I cranked it the heater control valve did leak and I replaced it. This could be the problem. What would be a good test to see if this wast the problem?
Old 04-06-2004, 09:42 AM
jd944
Instructor

With the engine running, does it grind going into reverse?
Old 04-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will check later today to see if it grinds. I know it is difficult to get into reverse, but not sure if it grinds or not.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Transmission does not grind when going into reverse.

If anyone can answer this question I would appreciate it.

If you have one rear tire on the ground and the other jacked up, the engine running and the car in first gear and press the clutch, should you be able to turn the tire (yes the one jacked up )easily or would it be hard to turn????
Old 04-07-2004, 05:38 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Charlie
If you have one rear tire on the ground and the other jacked up, the engine running and the car in first gear and press the clutch, should you be able to turn the tire (yes the one jacked up )easily or would it be hard to turn????
you will feel aal the drag and friction in the transmission.
Never tried it this way but would expect it to be "doable", requiring a lot of force: the diff and ratio in the final drive is working against you.
What do you want to achieve with this test?
So in summary the car does not want to go into or come out of 1st gear or reverse with the clutch pushed. It does not make any difference if the engine is running or not.
So do I have a clutch or transmission problem and what could it b?.
Looks like a shifting mechanism problem.
By moving the stick you rotate and pull / push the connecting rod to the tranny. Too much play in the system will cause the selector rod in the tranny to be off just too much to grab the finger. On the tranny there are some links / joints to convert the rod movement, matching mechanism inside. Not eliminating a bent fork inside the tranny as cause, I would check the easy (and cheaper) part first
-shifter stick joints to the connecting rod, this should be firm, search the web for “shifter”
-mechanism on top of the transmission for too much play by ec loose bolt or worn joint
- connector bolt . grub screw between end of connecting rod and tranny shaft.
TakeCare
Old 04-07-2004, 06:00 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your hydraulics aren't working. The slave isn't pushing in on the clutch enough to fully disengage it. That's why 1st & reverse are hard to get into.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Danno, I have watched the slave cylinder and I believe it is moving within specs. The clutch pedal feels good.

Hans, I will check what you mentioned, thanks.

This morning I'm leaving for work, I put the car in neutral crank the engine,
car starts rolling back as I go to reverse, when it goes in gear its like somebody puts the brake on it stops.

Quick Reply: Never ending problems, clutch or transmission???