Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any ideas why my car won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Rally Guy
Also - check the Ignition Module - near the driver's side headlight. These are specific to the S and S2 cars and often fail.

They produce exactly the symptoms you descibe - strong cranking with no spark.
I had these symptoms and replaced the DME relay. They went away for a while, but reappeared later unexpectedly.

After lots of trouble shooting by different shops, it turned out to be the Ignition Control Module, which is S/S2 specific and not many mechanics are aware of. You can easily remove it and have it tested by an electronics shop. Otherwise, it's around $50 to replace and you can get a generic Bosch unit.

I learned this the hard way, after replacing the relay and the $400 airflow meter...

IMHO It's well worth checking the ignition module to avoid future problems.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Chad S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had something like this happen but it was the air intake hose going into the intake. I was washing the motor and I must have nocked it loose. It took me three days to figure it out.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:32 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Danno
So ah.. what if you have spark, like all four plugs sitting on the intake-manifold fire back and forth in the right order, AND you have fuel? Like removing the injector fail and aiming the injectors sideways results in fuel spraying across the garage, yet the car [i]STILL[/i ] won't start, eh?
only thing missing danno is air so I would check the valve is opening at the air filter intake Also check the air auxillary valve and hoses under the intake manifold.
Like Chad S I also had an air leak on one of the 2 hoses to the valve which gave exactly the same symptoms.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

The latest-

After I got it started Monday night, I have made a few trips around the neighborhood. It had been running alright until this afternoon, where it died a block from my house and there was nothing I could do to the relay to make it work. Lucky for me the UPS man came to the door about a half hour later with my new parts. I put in the DME relay and tried again. Started, then quickly died (computer learning new relay??). Then tried again and it ran fine. Started about three more times with no problems. I'd say my problem is solved. I will probably get a new ignition module to be safe. Thanks all for your help! Rennlist has already saved me so much this year!

-Ethan
Old 04-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Still could be the coil. A WEAK coil will cause that type of intermittant problem.

My car would stall, put in new DME relay, no go, tow truck brings it home. I come home, crank and start no problem.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Kevin, point well taken. However, the S2/16V cars are kind of weird when it comes to DME related things. That ignition module is definitely intermittent when it starts going bad.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

True. I had heard of the ignition control module going bad and even bought one for my car.......Then I found out I don't have one, so I gave it to a lister in Dallas with an S2.

Just reliving Sid and I's adventures of last Spring.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:59 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Ethan,

I had a similar experience with my '83 NA a few years back. The car would sometimes die for no reason. Sometimes It was hard to start. One day it died and I could not get it restarted. I had it towed to the dealer where they diagnosed and replaced a failed electrical part of the ignition switch.

Just one more thing it could be.

Good Luck,
Steve
Old 04-15-2004, 07:24 AM
johnreynolds
2nd Gear

Hi

I have a 1985 3.2 (UK) RHD. Sometimes it starts perfectly, i drive it for 1-40 miles stop the car and when i return to start it again (it doesnt seem to matter how long after) sometimes it will not start. The key turns and hits the end of the turn and nothing! There is a resistance, as if it is trying to do something and alsoa slight hum or buz sound as the key reaches the cranking position and will not travel any further, this stops when released to the pre cranking possition but no cranking occurs. The car will start straight away with a push (ignition on and in third gear after a very short run) sometimes as i am jumping it i have tried the key and it has cranked....... as if the starter has been stuck and suddently become free?

The barrell (ignition) is a bit worn and sometimes will not turn at all but again this is very irratic and might only 'stick' 1 in 100 times.

I think it is either the ignition switch/barrell/complete unit but it might be the starter or a combination of the both?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

regards

john reynolds
Old 04-15-2004, 01:58 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Sounds more like the starter is jamming or there is a bad electrical connection somewhere ie ignition switch/ solenoid etc

Next time it happens put the car in first gear make sure the ignition switch is off and rock the car back and forth a few times hard.( don't push the clutch in obviously) This should free the starter if its jammed
Old 04-18-2004, 03:54 PM
chrisalberts
Intermediate

JohnReynolds - my guess is that there are teeth chipped off the flywheel. This tends to happen when someone turns the ignition to start when the car is already running and you get that nasty sound we have all heard. Next time it won't start, try just rocking the car (in gear) instead of push starting it. If it works after a rock it's one of two things:

- there's something wrong with the starter (as suggested by peanut above) or;
- it's what I mention above. If it's this you probably just want to live with it as it'll be an expensive fix.

I'm guessing when you say you have an 85 3.2 we're talking Carrera not 944, but no matter.

C.

Quick Reply: Any ideas why my car won't start?