Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please post rear speaker install intructions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 10:15 AM
p0wp0w
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please post rear speaker install intructions

Hi,
I want to upgrade my front and rear speakers. Fronts you just remove the grill right? I searched and searched for rear speaker replacement but there is not much with detailed descriptions. I guess they all got taken out when we got new format? Pictures would be even better. Also, I am looking at the Infinity Kappa 4x6's or the MBQuart 4x6's in the rear, not sure for the front though.

Thanks alot!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make a template.
then cut.
but towards the door there is a plate that gets in your way.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Old 04-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

what we used.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, infinity kappa's.... very nice choice. I have a bunch of infinity reference speakers around, and they are wonderful. I can only imagine how good the kappa's sound.

Anyhoo, back to the installation!
For the fronts, if the grill is removable, take it off and see if you can access all the screws, if you can, perfect, but I have never tried to remove the factory grills, mine were gone when I got the car.
For the rear speakers, you need to remove the trim piece covering them, which is no easy feat. I believe it can be pulled out from beside the rear seat, and I think it has 1 or 2 screws farther up, but the hardest part is prying it out from around the quarter panel window.
There are really 3 schools of thought on this one.
1) Remove the window, I have heard that it simply pushes out from the inside, and can be easily re-installed. then you pull the window trim up and remove the quarter panel trim piece
2) Carefully pry the quarter panel trim piece out from beind the quarter panel window trim. I have heard this is pretty tricky, and even harder to re-install.
3) Leave the panel on, just lift it up, and undo the screws (I would imagine they are fairly difficult to see though. I have no experience with this method, and I would be a little worried about damaging the interior trim piece.

Hope some of that was of some help, and best of luck to you.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Pulling the window takes 5 minutes per side, at the worst. Popping it back in, 10 minutes, using the "rope" trick.

Here's a picture of my 6.5 MB Quarts installed:

-J
Old 04-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

I don't know if you are interested, but I installed 6x9" speakers in the trunk. The picture shows work in progress, and I'm planning to put brown carpet around it.

6x9 speakers will offer higher sound quality than 4x6.
The procedure is rather easy. I cut to size the decks for the speaker out of ~5/8" plywood, and attached them to the chassis using two L-shaped metal brackets, and using a factory bracket that holds the carpet. Some drilling is requires; I drilled holes next to the spotwelding marks (make sure not to drill the gas tank, :-) ).
Stan
Old 04-05-2004, 01:01 PM
ryeske944
Instructor

I was able to replace the rears by undoing everything except the window, bending the trim back, then undoing the screws using a powerscrewdriver bit and a pair of pliers. Tricky, but it works. BTW, I have an extra pair of new Blaupunkt 4x6 speakers if anyone needs some.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:30 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Stan
That's how I did mine, way easier than trying to remove the interior panel. I've done it on 2 944's now and both came out great. Everytime I've posted how I did it though, nobody seemed to care . Probably cause I never used pics.

Looks good!
Old 04-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A little late to the party, but we have an article that may help. Covers the "rope trick" and the install of direct fit Blaupunkt speakers. Here: http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index..._v2&id=107&c=4

Good Luck!
Old 04-05-2004, 02:04 PM
p0wp0w
Pro

Alright thanks alot!!
I think I'll go with the window trick once I get the speakers. I just want to go with 4x6's because I want to be able to bring everything back to stock and I want everything to look stock as well with the new speakers.

I read that if I go Kappa's all around, the fronts will leave a 1/4" gap.

ZERO10: Which Infinity References do you have and do they leave a gap in the front or will the stock grill sit flush?

Thanks again!
Old 04-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

After having done rear speakers both ways, I find pulling the windows to be so much easier than trying to work by juts bending the panel back, I'll never NOT pull the windows again.

Sam
Old 04-05-2004, 03:15 PM
p0wp0w
Pro

Thanks Sam,

Also I would like a little more bass out of my sound but not too much, which is why I'm not going with a sub. I heard that MBQuart's have decent bass but I have not heard anyone say anthing about Infinity's bass...Which one would give me more bass? Infinity Kappa's or the MBQuart 4x6's.

Right now my plan is Infinity Reference in the front (if they fit) and either Kappa's or MBQuarts in the rear...
Old 04-05-2004, 03:59 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Unfortunately, neither will give you bass. I'm using the 4x6 Kappa's in the front and rear. The rear's required a little dremel grinding (not too much), I had early no-speaker front doors that I had to cut for the fronts, so I can't offer you any help on your stock front panels.

I decided to add the little Kenwood wOOx powered subwoofer. It's small enough to fit just about anywhere. That's the only way you're going to get any kind of bass notes unless you want to fit 6x9's or 6" speakers somewhere. I have yet to plug in the subwoofer, but I'm hoping for good results.

-nick
Old 04-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Jon Moeller's 6.5" install is the closest you'll get to any useful bass in stock locations, and that required no cutting or grinding.

Sam

Quick Reply: Please post rear speaker install intructions