Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA NNJR AutoX .... LAME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 11:44 PM
yarin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCA NNJR AutoX .... LAME!!!

First metro dishes out 4 runs for the day.... ok that sucked..

NOW THIS!!

"New Pricing for 2004

$35 - All particpants
$25 - All STOCK Porsches, 1983 and older"

What a bunch of crap? They smoking crack? Metro is $20 an event.
If they want to rape their participants why not charge the people who aren't PCA members more.

Let me just warn those guys in advance that there will be plenty of people claiming their cars are stock when it comes time to pay. Why is everyone so lame these days? What's with all the incentive to keep the cars stock?

Damn purists. What does STOCK mean anyway? Do my fuzzy dice put me in modified... i'm done for now..

MAD GHEY!

PS - I just voiced my opinion by emailing autocross@nnjr-pca.com . I urge you to do the same if you feel this policy is unfair.

Last edited by yarin; 04-02-2004 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:15 AM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

It is still cheaper than M Club!

-Christian
Old 04-02-2004, 01:12 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not voice your concerns with the people who organise it.

ask why the cut off is '83.

complain that is exlcudes you, who happens to be a PCA member in good standing.

This is why I like the AutoX in our region. it's $35 cdn for everyone, everyone gets at least 4-5 runs if not 6 or 7, and the classes are like this:

early air (911/914/912)
early water (928/924/944/951/968)
late air (964/993)
late water (986/996)

Guess what? no one complains, everyone likes it. More laid back yet somehow still competitive.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:16 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

we should just street race... its cheaper and we will get more runs.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:14 AM
yarin
Racer

Originally posted by Dan Gallagher
we should just street race... its cheaper and we will get more runs.
Yeah! Let's organize in mass quantites right next to this overpriced cone thingy. We can street race back and forth all day and show those guys who is the coolest.

No anyway... M Club is $30 if you are a member, $40 for non-members. Why not go with that policy?

Check this scenario out... Mr. Purist Novice 912, 930, 914, 924 or 356 owner swings by to check out their first autocross. But wait... what???!! I'm financially penalized for driving an OLD Porsche? WTF?!! He immediately loses interest in Porsche as a whole purely based on principle and buyes a riced out auto Civic.

Who comes up with these ideas?
Old 04-02-2004, 08:29 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Could the rates be that way for a real reason, like, for insurance issues? It could be possible that the broker for PCA NNJR gave them a reduced rate for older cars at the event, or there could be some sort of existing club policy that covers the older cars already for any event, so that the per-car event insurance is cheaper for them and not others. Just a possiblilty. Event insurance is a funny thing sometimes and difficult to make heads or tails of............
Old 04-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Yes, but we have a similar problem with price increases Tifo. Thing is, the PCA gets a ton of money each year and a lot of it goes to charity. Now maybe I am off, charity is all well in good, but I bet a lot of guys did not join a Porsche club to give to charity. Why not roll more of that money into events and knock down the price a little, especially in this economy...and give the discounts for PCA membership.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:30 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with you Darth, I was just trying to point out the possible reason for the desparity between the two rates.........

Insurance rates for everything have been getting out of hand since 9/11/01. For example, my company has seen our SIR (to simplify, sortof a "deductible") go from $200K in 2001, to $500K in 2002, to $2M in 2003. I have to think that the event organizers and clubs are seeing some similar impact. Does the PCA break down where each dollar of our registration fee goes to? I'd like to see that. I bet over 50% of it goes toward insurance, another 30% at least goes to covering expenses like trophies and venue.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:30 AM
eugene
Racer

Hello Yarin.

I thought that the $25 only applies to Stock Porsches (NOT All Stock Porsches)that are 1983 or older to encourage people with Older Porsches to come to the Autocross.

That was my understanding from reading the Autocross Chairman's notes on it.

Eugene.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

The money is budgeted and passed out in some of the meetings. The main thing is that the region wants each event that it holds to pay for itself. Personally, I think that some of the more profitable activities like track events and such can help out some of the other programs like autox. JMHO
Old 04-02-2004, 02:33 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's ridiculus. It should definetely be seperated non members and members. $30 for members and $40 for non members makes SENSE unlike their current pricing scheme.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:20 PM
yarin
Racer

Eugene,

You are correct... it is my mistake.

However I still do disagree on the abnormal split in entrance fees. The standard member/non-member fees make more sense to me.

As time goes by an increase in fees is expected. I suppose when I get my 914 i'll try to keep it stock.... ?
Old 04-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Hey man, from what I know, stock means the stock classes. Meaning anything not in Improved or Modified. 1983 was picked because it was a significant year for the 911. There was some big changeover.

Personally, I'd rather see them drop the trophies/plaques at every event and save money. I've got a pile from each of the last two seasons of individual event plaques that don't mean alot. The two series championship plaques are on my wall.

All in all I don't mind, but that's only because I qualify for the cheap rate! :P
Old 04-02-2004, 10:31 PM
yarin
Racer

Originally posted by Ken
Hey man, from what I know, stock means the stock classes. Meaning anything not in Improved or Modified. 1983 was picked because it was a significant year for the 911. There was some big changeover.

Personally, I'd rather see them drop the trophies/plaques at every event and save money. I've got a pile from each of the last two seasons of individual event plaques that don't mean alot. The two series championship plaques are on my wall.

All in all I don't mind, but that's only because I qualify for the cheap rate! :P
Agreed... MetroNY did away with the plaques to save money and keep fees where they are.. $20/event for members. Can't beat that. Those awards are useless after you've piled up enough of them. I'd rather save the $$.

NNJR responded to the increase in fees by saying that it costs a lot to fund the PORSCHEFORUS publication. Does anyone get this? I don't know if i've ever seen one...hehe.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Default Re: PCA NNJR AutoX .... LAME!!!

Originally posted by yarin
First metro dishes out 4 runs for the day.... ok that sucked..

NOW THIS!!

"New Pricing for 2004

$35 - All particpants
$25 - All STOCK Porsches, 1983 and older"

What a bunch of crap? They smoking crack? Metro is $20 an event.
If they want to rape their participants why not charge the people who aren't PCA members more.
Um, yarin, as an engineer type, you should be able to do the math:

Metro: 4 runs at $20.00 = $5.00 per run.

NNJR: 8 runs at $35.00 = $4.38 per run.

Hmm, maybe you should complain to the Metro folks for running such inefficient events! Technically, NNJR charges LESS PER RUN!

Howard (aka NNJR autocross chair) is saving lots of money even in the trophies, due to the fact that the plaques can be used from year to year. (And he has a ton of them that were in last year's budget). Personally, I like trophies!

Regarding club-wide budgets: typically, the track/DE budget usually covers the rest of the club's activities. Autox is funny: some years it's in the red, other's it is in the black. I believe the price increase (there hasn't been a price increase in many, many years) was to help aviod a year-end autox budget in the red.

Also: I think that it is commendable that NNJR doesn't want to charge non-members more $$: it shows that we welcome others to our events, including non-Porsche cars!

Just my $0.42,,
-Z-man.

Quick Reply: PCA NNJR AutoX .... LAME!!!