Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Dissaembly for extended period of time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 12:10 PM
HelloGoodLuck
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Dissaembly for extended period of time?

Over the last two weeks, I have:
  • Removed water pump and and all related front pulleys, etc
  • Removed intake manifold, AOS, fuel rail etc
  • Removed cam housing
  • Removed rad and all hoses
  • About to pull headers if I can figure out how to disconnect the y pipe flange - those things are F'ed.
  • About to pull oil cooler housing
I'm a noob at all this, before getting started i'd never touched an engine bay before. I'm wondering if there are any concerns with keeping things apart for an extended period of time. Aside from covering holes with tape and towels, is there any other precautions I should take? Probably my biggest question is the lifters. Are they ok just sitting in the cam housing, or should I pull them and keep in a tub of oil?

Thanks all!
Old 03-07-2021, 03:58 PM
jeyjey
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

I'd be more worried about getting the lifters back into the wrong holes. (They will have bedded down individually so you don't want to mix them up.)

Rags stuffed in holes and a bit of engine oil down the cylinder walls when you put it back together and it should be fine. If you're somewhere humid and it'll be apart for more than a year I'd squirt some engine oil around once a year or so.

The braking system is also going to have humidity issues. In Ireland I'd change the brake fluid every 2 years whether it's driven or not. Not sure about drier climates....
Old 03-08-2021, 10:14 AM
HelloGoodLuck
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, thank you - that makes me feel better

Quick Reply: Engine Dissaembly for extended period of time?