Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washer tank leak: Not the tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 05:00 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Washer tank leak: Not the tank

So for the past few years I have lived with a leak in my washer tank. It was frustrating: I'd fill the tank, and over the course of days it would empty itself. Hard to find the leak and was driving me nuts with the thought of removing the tank.

Last month I had a similar problem with my 928: Tank would be filled and water would dribble out of it. So I pulled the 928's tank (much easier than a 944S), put it in the sink, plugged up the drain holes, filled it with water, marked the level, and left it overnight in the sink to find the leak.

Next morning: No change in water level, no leak. Impossible I thought, where the hell is the water leaking from?

Then I remembered fluid dynamics: What was happening is when I ran the pump it would suck water into the lines and to the water pump and *those* fittings were leaking. Due to siphoning it would drain the tank down to the level of the pump.

Could the same thing be happing on the 944S? So I pulled out the water lines from the tank, filled it up, marked it, and came back in a day.

No change. Checked the lines to the pump and found one of them was a bit loose. What's been happening is water weeps out of that line and drains the tank to the level of the pump. It doesn't matter that the lines are on top of the tank, they go down to the pump and that's where all the water goes.

Mystery solved. Now I need to clean the jets, I have found that a mitey-vac hooked up to the let's intake is a *GREAT* way to clean them in the car. Just pull a vacuum then spray simple green on the nozzle. Dirt will be sucked out (instead of blown through the venturi) and the nozzle will be clean again. Once one nozzle is clean put your finger over the good nozzle and pull a vacuum to clean the other one.

Saved me the job of pulling a perfectly good tank :-)
The following 3 users liked this post by Christopher Zach:
Gage (03-06-2021), rdonahe (03-04-2021), voodu3 (03-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Washer tank leak: Not the tank