Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 10:56 AM
S. Kuwatch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and Exhaust

I have just aquired an 86, 951 which has several "upgrades" through the drivetrain. These are; Stage 2 chip; ProFlow 73MM Mass Air; Variable rate Fuel Pressure Regulator; Manual adjust Boost,(currently set at 18psi); Omni Magna Ignition and wires; Aluminum flywheel; Centerforce clutch and plate; and 89, S2 transaxle with stock final drive.
Car has 90K miles and according to records the engine has never been open, but regular service and maintenance has been religiously completed.
Car runs great, pulls great and does not push any smoke.

Time for me to start playing- First on the list is a new exhaust system.(performance type). I need info on what systems might work best with my engine setup. Since the current system is stock except for Cat bypass, I am looking to do the full run including headers.

I'm new to the 944 world, but have previously owned a 911 and know some of the aftermarket suppliers. It seem fewer and fewer are interested in front engine waterpumpers. It's a shame. I remember during my 911 days in the early to mid 90's when 924/944/928 drivers chanted "someday all GOOD Porsches will pump water" . That was before the introduction of the 996......Profound
Old 03-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Kuwatch,

Welcome.

Regarding headers and exhaust, I HIGHLY suggest you go with Speed Force Racing (www.speedforceracing.com). If you have the extra cash, their 944/968 headers are gorgeous. From there, you can get a SFR catback and have a good muffler shop fab up the connection.

There are several on this board with the SFR system, and some sound bytes have been posted. It sounds very well, and with the 3" all the way back (what I now have) you are sure to get *decent* air flow. And reading what engine mods have been done to the turbo/air intake, it would seem you need quite a bit more air flowing out the other way.

Quick Reply: Headers and Exhaust