Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a bad clutch master/slave look like?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 12:44 AM
Ben Allison
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a bad clutch master/slave look like?

Anyone have tips on what a bad master clutch cylinder and bad clutch slave cylinder. I've seen a *really* bad clutch slave, when I replaced it on my 928, but I've got a different situation here.

Friend of mine just got a 951 - I'm helping him get it road worthy (He got a great deal but I have to drive it 75 miles home without a clutch =) The clutch only has partial action. We pressure bled and got great clutch feel, but only for about 5 pushes of the clutch, and then it was back to being bad.

We took the master and slave cylinders off. They looked BRAND NEW (likely that the P.O. had tried to fix the clutch problem already). However, we want to eliminate them as a source of problem. Is there any easy check? The piston has a bit of "roughness" as it pushes in and out? We checked the bore of the cylinder (visually and by touch) and it seems fine. Is this just the rubber seals doing their job? The piston seals are in good order. The spring is perfect.

We found one bad component - the fluid pressure hose going down to the clutch slave. We're just trying to eliminate the others. At this point, my friend does not want to drop too much money on a car that we havn't fully determined the condition of.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:54 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it losing brake fluid?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:04 AM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it. It's happening to me right now, there is a high pressure rubber hose that connects the clutch master cylinder to the clutch slave cylinder. My rubber hose has a hole in it and it is giving the same problem as Ben's friend. I recommend you look at that line and see if it is leaking.

John

Quick Reply: What's a bad clutch master/slave look like?